1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Challenge of Academisation

Discussion in 'Education news' started by chrisr1991, Jun 17, 2016.

1. chrisr1991

chrisr1991 New commenter

The Challenge of Academisation Conference

Does new Government legislation improve Primary Schools?

Register for free here

Tuesday 28th June 2016

Liverpool Hope University

(Ranked top 5 in the UK for Teaching Quality)

With Education Secretary Nicky Morgan announcing that the Government no longer plan to force all schools to become an academy, many are confused about the changing requirements of academisation.

· What does the new government legislation mean?

· Will academisation raise attainment; improve institutional structure, financials and funding?

· What effect will this have on pupils?

· What evidence is there to show academies improve results?

· What are the financial challenges?

Join us for our Primary Schools: The Challenge of Academisation Conference to hear education experts discuss how these concerns can be addressed, gain a comprehensive understanding of the conversion process, and learn from primary schools that have successfully converted to academy status.

Headline Speakers Include:

Kevin Courtney - Deputy General Secretary, National Union of Teachers

Jack Worth - Research Manager, National Foundation for Educational Research

Mike Cladingbowl - Executive Principal, Knutsford Multi-Academy Trust

Ian Buss - Key Markets, Lloyds Bank

Glyn Bishop - Senior School Improvement Office, Waterton Academy Trust

Alan Thompson - Director Hi-Impact

For more information and the full agenda click here

To register for your free place on the conference, please contact Chris Reynolds directly by email: c.reynolds1@salford.ac.uk or call 0161 295 3612.

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

That they are flailing around, desperate to privatise education so that they can cut budgets and blame someone else.

No.

They'll suffer as failing schools get passed from MAT to MAT and struggling/ASN pupils get dumped into underfunded LA schemes.

None. Studies done so far suggest it makes no difference at all and that it may even be detrimental.
    Preventing your MAT CEO funnelling all the money into his own salary and into his real concern - the business set up to provide services and consultancy to schools which miraculously get awards all contracts.

Who needs a conference?

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

NFER research evidence published today shows that there is no significant difference in overall school performance between academies and similar maintained schools in 2014. This is the conclusion from the Analysis of academy school performance in GCSEs 2014 report, commissioned by the Local Government Association.

That's evidence from the NFER. So that's Jack Worth's bit of the Conference sorted.

Do academies raise attainment? No. (Short speech.)

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Well they've got to give all those highly paid guests something to do. There's probably a few posh dinners to be eaten and some nice hotels to stay in running up a huge bar bill. That's why you need a conference!

delnon and vannie like this.
  5. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Really?
    You get a second class rail ticket and a room at the nearest Travelodge if you're lucky.

6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I'm surprised your agenda has not been informed by the research in this area.

Why have academies failed to raise attainment above that of other schools?

Why is there no evidence to show academies have raised attainment above that of other schools?

are two better questions to be asking.

here are two more:

Why is there a higher level of fraud and misappropriation of funds with academies?

Why is the government ploughing ahead despite all of the evidence?

I wont be there Chris Reynolds, but perhaps you might ask the difficult questions for me?

And post the answers here...

slingshotsally, delnon, lmnop and 3 others like this.
  7. chrisr1991

chrisr1991 New commenter

slingshotsally likes this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The way teacher pay is going a Travelodge is a posh hotel. A second class train ticket? Luxury!

slingshotsally and delnon like this.
  9. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Max Factor? Rimmel? The whitewash manufacturers?

slingshotsally likes this.
  10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Your agenda doesn't sound neutral:
    It's all about how to convert and allaying any fears you might have about the process. You don't mention hearing from unsuccessful conversions so any claim of neutrality is demonstrably false.

I reckon you arranged this before the U-turn on forced academisation and couldn't get your deposits back on the venue.

11. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The evidence is not "neutral" though. It says what it says, despite anyone's "feelings" about it

Why should ex-HMIs like Cladingbowl (now running a MAT I see, lol) be given this opportunity to ignore the research and evidence and make a trumped up case for academies?

Isn't being an HMI and ending up running a MAT, a bit like government defence ministers ending up on boards of arms companies etc?

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Ian Buss. Key Markets. Lloyds Bank.

"Let's sell banking services to people who know nothing about finance! Hurrah for academisation. Hurrah for capitalism. Hurrah for me and my bonus!"

Lloyds Banking Group just announced in its 2015 results that profits dropped because of compensation it had to pay out to victims of a particular mis-sold loan insurance.

And now they're punishing the bankers for it — bonuses were reduced to £353.7 million, from £369.5 million in 2014.

Poor devils. Ian Buss is going to have to work hard to plug that gap. How I do weep for him. :(;)

delnon and Shedman like this.
  13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I am reminded of the newly updated saying, 'You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.'

14. tuftyaurelius

tuftyaurelius New commenter

15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Leave Michael Gove's grooming routine out of it!

16. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Michael Gove - a turd rolled in glitter.
    Look past the dazzle folks.

17. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

‘The challenge of academisation’ is how long can this gravy train go on for?