1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The cat's holiday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Greetings from Leominster! We are on a farm, in a lovely cottage with the dog and cat. It was 29 degrees when we arrived, but the cottage walls are thick, so it's cool inside. Lots of interesting new things for the cat to experience, like chickens and ducks to study through the window, to work out how he'd go about killing them.

Sadly for him, he'll be spending his holiday indoors, but it's still a holiday, ain't it?

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

It’s a better holiday than my cats experience in the cattery, even with the fresh air run.

sabrinakat and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

wow, you have taken your cat on holiday? Thats brave. My cat's default is auto-destruct mode, and I wouldn't trust it with anyone elses's furniture or wall paper or carpets.......

My cat stays home when we go away, and gets visited. Lots more space, and much less stress than cattery.

4. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It's a real treat for a cat to go on holiday and dig, defecate and kill wildlife on new people's property.

sabrinakat and Mrsmumbles like this.
  5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

He's inside the house so he isn't doing that is he?

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Apparently lots of people cut a holiday short because they miss their pets, so it's a good idea to take them. Not so many people miss their children, I'm told...

Corvuscorax likes this.
  7. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Wow, I think you're brave to take the cat... all it takes is for someone to open a window, and you spend the rest of the week - no, too awful to think about.

Someone recently suggested I take my cats away with me on my travels - but the elderly one loses all control of bodily functions during the 3-minute drive to the vets, and repeats the process on the way home... so again - it's too awful to think about.

But I agree, it's so hard to leave them behind. This summer I've had to leave my other cat recovering from an emergency operation he had the day before while I went on a pre-booked holiday - I was so worried in case he took a turn for the worse or infection set in and my kind neighbour who cares for them didn't notice (he was fine!). I'm always glad to get home and find them fast asleep in their usual place (even though I have to poke the elderly & deaf cat awake to check she's still alive).

My sister used to bring her two cats to stay with my parents, but one Christmas morning we were all woken up early by her and hubby doing some frantic searching - it turned out one of the kitties wasn't anywhere in the house. It had sensibly spent the night under the only car it recognised. It was never clear which of us had inadvertently let it out the evening before, but after that they were always put into the cattery instead.

Hope you have a restful week, D of Y. It's a really lovely part of the country.

8. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

Cats. Love em. Particularly right now- 3.54 a.m. . One of them has brought a mouse into daughter's room. Of course it's disappeared in the deepest darkest depths of her room. She is refusing to go back in. Husband is ill and trying to sleep. Daughter is crying her apologies for her histrionics. She's now in my side of the bed. Husband on his. I'm downstairs on the couch. Both dogs have decided they'd like to be with me. They're fast asleep. I'm wide awake.

Cats. Yup. Love em.