1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis for 8/9 year olds?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jrobinson2, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi, I have just moved to primary from secondary and I am teaching stories from other cultures next week for the first time! I have a year 4 class very mixed ability from P scales to level 4/5's. We have looked at the story of Goodnight Mr Tom before and the children loved it even though I thought it a bit old for them.
    I am now thinking of doing the book The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis but I am worried it is too old for them? Only the highers would read independently, the others would look at it as a class. Please could anyone else tell me if they think this book would be ok for 8/9 year olds. Im not worried about them accessing it, just that the storyline might upset them?
    I need some reassurance or advice please!
    Thank you

2. Hi, I have just moved to primary from secondary and I am teaching stories from other cultures next week for the first time! I have a year 4 class very mixed ability from P scales to level 4/5's. We have looked at the story of Goodnight Mr Tom before and the children loved it even though I thought it a bit old for them.
    I am now thinking of doing the book The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis but I am worried it is too old for them? Only the highers would read independently, the others would look at it as a class. Please could anyone else tell me if they think this book would be ok for 8/9 year olds. Im not worried about them accessing it, just that the storyline might upset them?
    I need some reassurance or advice please!
    Thank you