1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Bradford Factor Explained

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DaisysLot, Jun 20, 2012.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The purpose of this post is information only - not intended for debate as to the validity of the Bradford factor as a personnel management tool.
    I've had an increasing number this year of queries regarding the use of this as a tool for managing staff absence in schools. Firstly for any one unaware, the bradford factor is a simple formula that takes a staff members frequently of absence against they number of absences in a preceding 12 months period. The 12 month period is rolling, so ones Bradford 'score' can change frequently. The formula used is number of absences (frequency) x number of absences x number of days in total. Thus someone having had 2 periods of absence, each of 3 days would have their score calculated as 2x2x6 = 24. Such a score would be low. Someone who has had 12 absences of 2 days, so perhaps 2 days each half term would have a score of 12x12x2 =288. The recommendation is that a verbal warning should take place for those hitting a score of 100 leading to a written warning at 300, and perhaps dismissal at 500. One would hope that a school adopting such a policy would be endeavoring to enquire supportively well before anyone reached a score of 500 though.

It specifically aims to address frequent short term absence, arguably the most disruptive form of absence to manage in schools given the nature of the job. Picking up on those regular 'Monday hungover' folk (there are some out there...) but some schools have misused this to give staff inflated scores by failed to exclude certain periods of absence from the calculation - Any medically certified sickness absence should not be included. Yes really someone can have two months off post operative and remain with a Bradford score of zero. -Interview days should not be counted. -Maternity leave and maternity related sickness absence should not be included and some schools have made this clanger. - Paternity leave should similarly not be included -Compassionate leave be it paid or unpaid should not be included. Periods of booked parental leave are not included either. I hope that address the main points to be aware of for any interested parties.

2. Another exclusion should be any absence relating to disability as defined in the dda and related acts.

3. princessmelody

princessmelody New commenter

Daisy- I know you wrote this a while ago- but where did you get the info re medically certified absence? Thank you

4. I have been signed off by the doctor for stress and exhaustion over the last 12 months and have built up a Bradford score of almost 2000. Should the periods I have been signed off been calculated or are these' epically certified sickness absence' . My employers are being very fair but, as you can imagine, there are serious questions being asked of me. I feel I was following doctors advice and if I hadn't taken rest when advised I would have collapsed totally.

5. Medically not epically although this is funnily apt!

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

A lot has changed in how staff absence is managed from work place to work place in the last few years. You would have to look at your specific policy. If your school deems in its policy and use of the Bradford factor that certified absence should also be included, then provided that is applied universally to all staff, that is essentially fine. Guidance on how it is used is just that.