1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The-boy-with-the-helmet...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by GLsghost, Jun 18, 2015.

1. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Excellent follow-up story, GLs.

Mind, his fellow students at that college should have gone to certain other universities, where I believe firsts are much more common...[​IMG]

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I'm having ten quid at Ladbrokes that he'll be Lucasian professor of maths at some point!

[​IMG]

I'm thrilled for him. He's SUCH a lovely young man; and I'm thrilled for his mother who fought so hard for so long to ensure he got an appropriate education.

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Brilliant story. I can't believe the Primary Head got away with behaving like that - shocking!

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Karma (!) - a close relative's grandchildren will be going to That Primary Head's new school soon. Young man and mum are going to make a point of turning up to every opportunity to support the young primary students on their various open days and performances!

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

What a disgraceful head.

I do hope they arrive early and sit in a prominent position![​IMG]

Well done, young man!

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

You can count on it! [​IMG]

8. tidal

tidal New commenter

Like it

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

An impressive achievement. Well done to him and all who supported him in his efforts!

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Heartwarming!

11. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Lovely update, thanks!

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Seconded!!

13. I never read the original thread. I gather things have changed SEN-wise since then. But was it not the case that if you accepted a child with substantial SEN, you did so on the basis that you could cater for them? And that behaviours that were part of the child's condition were not things you could later exclude him or her for?

14. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It was indeed the case, billboakes, but that didn't stop the woman trying and making the boy's life a complete misery. The boy's mother had substantial support from a retired HT friend who accompanied her to meetings and pulled the HT up on her duty to the child.

A good time to pay tribute again to the Head of the secondary school and to the University of Cambridge, whose support for students on the autistic spectrum has been fantastic.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Seconded.

And I love to hear stories of people overcoming adversity and thriving - big it up for ASDs and I won't call it suffering from an ASD, the main problem, I imagine for someone with an ASD, is putting up with the rest of us. And that's where the suffering may often lie.

16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Life was certainly a challenge when he was younger because the world was such a confusing place, but I think he now has the measure of it - at least well enough to be able to function effectively in it! I don't think it would be fair to say he 'suffers' from ASD now.

Cambridge have provided fantastic pastoral support for him: a student mentor in the first year, to get him to lectures and supervisions and enable him to cope in them. He soon didn't need her any more.

He also had a post grad social mentor, who made sure he went to socials, garden parties, balls and such like. She showed him what to expect and helped him to learn how to 'be' in one...rehearse small talk - that kind of thing. He grew to really enjoy the social side of university. He even managed to go away on the notorious combined Oxbridge ski trip at Easter for the past couple of years and really enjoy it.

Home tomorrow, apparently (for champagne!) and then back in September to start the journey towards Stephen Hawking's Chair!!!*

*That's his job - not his Ferrari! [​IMG]

17. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I passed on all your good wishes to his mum, BTW. She said thank you and was genuinely touched.

18. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

BWH's mum has posted:

"How wonderful to have heard recently from so many of Xxxxx's former teachers who are delighted by his continued success and final exam results. He was truly blessed to have so many inspirational and empathetic teachers who went out of their way to support him and his parents. To those teachers who chose not to be understanding and helpful to us - he succeeded despite you. smile emoticon "

19. sopsychedout

sopsychedout New commenter

What an inspiring story! It reminds me of my own situation when I was of primary school age. I.e. my mother was told that I should go into a special school but the head of the mainstream local primary school that I went to agreed to admit me because his own daughter had a medical condition which was not too dissimilar to mine. I went onto to completely outgrow the medical condition that I had and went on to become the first person in my family to graduate (with a 2:1). I'm now a fully qualified Psychology teacher and do my best to support my students whatever their needs. The attitudes of what are supposed to be my fellow professionals like the ones described in this thread, beggar belief! I am frankly ashamed of people like this! Please congratulate the young man in question and his mother for showing what can be done with the right attitude and support! I find their story inspiring and assure them that I will continue to support my students as best I can! :)

By the way, billboakes, it DOES still happen in some places, even amongst adult students which shocks me! I know this from my own experience of dealing with students with SEN.