1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Boy with the Bronze Axe- help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by guna, Aug 24, 2019.

1. guna

guna New commenter

Hi. Has anyone on here used this book for English as part of a Stone Age to Iron Age in Britain topic? If so, please could you share some ideas for extended writing. I will use extracts from it for history lessons about Skara Brae, but am struggling to write a Yr 5/6 narrative unit for next term using it. I really like the book, but am struggling for ideas for writing. I'd be really grateful for any help.

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I'm really sorry to be so negative, but if you're struggling to find any writing ideas from it, then why are you using it to inspire writing? Use it for history lessons if it works, but use something else for writing. Something that you find exciting and inspiring. I struggle with the idea that everything has to be linked by a particular text or topic.

Having said that, I don't know which year group you teach, but Wolf Brother is very good for UKS2 in covering the Middle Stone Age.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  3. guna

guna New commenter

Thanks for your reply. :) I will teach Yr 5/6 this year and it is my first time teaching this topic- the school hasn't done it in UKS2 before. I am thinking to use Wolf Brother for whole class reading, but wanted to use The Boy with the Bronze Axe for English (writing) and history. It is the policy of the school I am in at the moment that subjects are linked by topic.

nick909 likes this.
  4. guna

guna New commenter

I have spent a bit more time looking at Wolf Brother now and will use that as the base for our narratvie writing. Thanks again, nick909.

nick909 likes this.
  5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Pleased to be of help, @guna! I've used the book many times with Year 5 and 6 classes, and it's always a huge hit. The children always love it, and invariably want to read the whole series (persuade your school librarian to buy a set or two ;)).

And as well as that, it's full of rich, poetic language to pull out and plunder, lots pull to use for reading lessons, and also jam-packed with writing opportunities and inspiration.

Good luck and I hope you and your class enjoy!

guna and Widgetworkshops like this.
  6. Widgetworkshops

Widgetworkshops New commenter

guna and nick909 like this.
  7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Didn't know that, @Widgetworkshops! Shall bear in mind when I do the book next.

Widgetworkshops likes this.