1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The boy who writes absolutely nothing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by slippeddisc, Oct 8, 2015.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I am lost with a boy who does barely any writing in any lesson. He's lower Ks2 and gets maybe 3 questions done in a maths lesson and about 2 sentences done in English. He's average ability and sits there knowing the consequences of not getting it done but still chooses not to do it. I've asked him why but he says he doesn't know. No motor issues or medical issues. A troubled background. Often distracted and distracts others. I've tried missed work being caught up at playtime and golden times but he just cries and misses the playtime instead of getting it done and going out. The family will not be much help in his case. He also hates other children very easily and actively looks for them to do the wrong thing (while he doesn't see he is doing the wrong thing). He is having counselling. I'd be grateful for any advice.

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I wonder of he finds the sight of lots of number sentences or a blank sheet of paper threatening? I taught a child who never wrote anything until, one day, I folded the sheet and said I only wanted him to do to .... He did the lot and turned over to complete the rest. I always gave him paper folded in half and stuck it in his book. This wasn't a complete success but certainly meant he did more, more often than before.
    You could try rewarding him for doing xxxx (a minimal amount) then gradually build up from there.

3. dillydinsoaur

dillydinsoaur New commenter

How about rather than giving consequences, giving rewards? Find something he likes (just small, like maybe being able to stay in at break and play lego; or 20 minutes computer time; or choice of a specific toy/piece of equipment for play time - I have one UKS2 boy who builds up stars, when he gets to 5 he gets a half an hour drumming lesson on a Friday) and use that as a carrot. Give him a small, basic list of criteria e.g. 5 different sentences; all have full stops and capitals; all contain a wow word; one to contain an exclamation mark and tell him that he should try and challenge himself to do it before the end of the lesson. Give a generic reminder half way, 5 minutes to go etc. and follow through 100% with the reward. Make it all a positive experience - he is challenging himself to get the reward.

If he doesn't do it, just don't make a fuss, just give him some feedback on what he could do to achieve it next time.

On a side note, is the counselling at school? Might be worth talking to the counsellor to get a better idea of what makes him 'tick'.

Good luck!

4. helgarr

helgarr New commenter

5. helgarr

helgarr New commenter

I've found saying I will do one sentence now you do one, I do another one etc. Then gradually increase the ask. It sounds like you are giving in to him but it is worth trying.

6. BATEMAN

BATEMAN New commenter

There are some great ideas on here already but another thing that you could try is the SpeedUp handwriting programme which promotes writing stamina and fluency.

I would certainly do more unpicking of the problem before jumping in as its a structured programme that will require time and effort if used, but it's another thought for you!