1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Boris and Jeremy Show

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jul 9, 2019.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

For me, the single most-telling utterance from Johnson in that debate was when he responded to Hunt with "Jeremy likes to do the finer detail", snarkily, the implication being that this was a bad thing.

So he either has not learnt any lessons from the past where his lack of being on brief has landed him in problems (Nazanin Z-R case) or he is aware of this failing but just does not care.

Either way, that spoke volumes. I seriously fear for the future with him at the helm. I don't think he'll last very long, though.

chelsea2 likes this.
  2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

He just doesn't care. More than any other politician, you can say this about Johnson. He wants power and that's it, and he doesn't care what he does or who gets hurt as long as he gets power.

And, in the end, this is what Brexit has been all about. It has been about power. The bit about the UK leaving the EU, that's just incidental and a very inconvenient one at that. The game plan was to lose and jump up and down complaining about losing and somehow gain power that way but the British Electorate, rather thoughtlessly, didn't play ball.

So Johnson et al are seriously up sh1t creek without even the idea of what a paddle looks like. They feel compelled to follow through (even though they are not) on something that they have no clue as to how to implement. So they are toughing it out in the totally irrational belief that something will come along and make everything alright.

Little wonder there is so much uncertainty and confusion.

ilovesooty and Ivartheboneless like this.
  3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We will soon see whether we have been fooled.

4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The confusion has risen from Westminster's inability (or unwillingness) to enact a democratic vote and TM's governments negotiating ineptitude.

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Leaders do not deal with detail, that is for the minions, Boris was correct in pointing that out. Why do you think TM failed so spectacularly?

border_walker likes this.
  6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Not Boris's fault, talk to TM about that, she kicked the can down the road along with other clowns in Westminster.
    Negotiations should be mutually beneficial if the negotiators are genuinely interested in a solution, which clearly both sides were not. If we had walked in 2016 the EU would have come running, now thanks to TM and her negotiating amateurs we are where we are.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  7. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

This morning I came across this brief TED talk by chance. The speaker is worth a cursory listen and I think that he may have identified a piece of the jigsaw puzzle, as Johnson (and Trump) are clearly narcissists and it's no surprise that neoliberalism is coughing up characters like them.

Unfortunately, because they do not exhibit the doubts and qualms of conscience that signify normal psychological functioning, as Hughes has pointed out elsewhere, '...dangerous personalities strike many ordinary people as ideal leaders, especially in times of crisis. They come across as powerful and decisive. They are not afraid to say what they think. They will follow through on their agenda no matter how much opposition they face. As a result, not only do we fail to recognise individuals with these disorders, but we often willingly place power in their hands.'

However, I think he overlooks the danger posed by ideologues. By that I mean people who insist that they can unambiguously differentiate between right and wrong and additionally wish to impose their absolutism on others. I would place Gove and possibly Corbyn in that category and add that politics would obviously attract more than its fair share of that kind of person too.

The relevant contrast might be with empathic/altruistic types, who are also more accepting of ambiguity and who acknowledge that all beliefs are held with a measure of uncertainty.

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

In the dangerous world we live in, leaders need to be hard headed towards their enemies and/or competitors or they will be trampled on. Look no further than Theresa May. If you consider Trump and Putin despite what we think about them they get things done for their own and care little about what happens to their enemies/competitors and yes, the people vote for them because they want to feel safe and confident that their leaders will not sell them short in favour of others.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

A minority of the US electorate voted for Trump...and how many people actually believe that Putin was elected legitimately? ;)

11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Up to a point, but it was Cameron's fault really, and he got away with all his and his wife's dosh safely out of sight in "British" tax havens writing his rubbish book in his stupid hut (which I hope someone saw him coming for and overcharged him mightily).

lexus300 likes this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

So long as you remember that Ian Hughes is promoting his new book, “Disordered Minds: How Dangerous Personality Disorders are Destroying Democracy” (Zero Books, £12.99) and that he is an atomic physicist with, as far as I know, no medical qualification for diagnosing people he has never even met as having personality disorders. :(

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Missing the point, they lead not by political consensus but by giving the people who voted for them what they want.
    BTW we have not had a majority voted government for many decades thanks to FPTP and just like the USA we have to abide by the system we have adopted for our respective democratic systems. If we had true PR then we might have a little wiggle room to criticize their system.;)

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You have been.

15. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

So that's why the Brexiteers voted against Brexit.

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Can you reference any evidence for that? If it's out of sight, how do you know about it?

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We shall see, by then you may have changed you mind:rolleyes:

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Westminster is a house of clowns, they no longer surprise me in what they do.

19. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

'Leaders' like that? THAT'S why the world has become even more dangerous.

Why does the 'other' have to be enemies or competitors?
    'Me first and sod the rest of you.'
    It's a short-sighted philosophy which cannot end well.

blue451 likes this.
  20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Gosh, who'd have guessed the Tories couldn't organise the proverbial...:D

Tory leadership chaos as party members may not be able to vote for their next leader
    Membership issues at Conservative Central Headquarters have meant hundreds of members have not received their ballot papers

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/conservative-members-vote-leadership-election-chaos/

The Conservative leadership election has descended into chaos as furious members were told they face the prospect of being unable to vote for their next leader due to problems at the party’s headquarters.

Membership issues at Conservative Central Headquarters have meant hundreds of members have not received their ballot papers to cast their votes in the battle between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt.

It comes just days after it emerged around 1,000 voters had been sent two ballot papers meaning they would be able to vote twice, raising doubts over the legitimacy of the election process.

i has been told CCHQ staff have been forced to set up an Appeals Committee, which is holding meetings twice daily and working weekends, in a bid to work through the backlog of complaints.

According to John Hutchinson, a Tory member from Colchester who has not received a ballot paper, officials are struggling to manage having received 20,000 unique calls from members complaining about the handling of the leadership contest in just three weeks.

Mr Hutchinson, 75, who worked in the financial services before retiring, said he was told members’ details were lost after the party headquarters centralised their membership database.

“As a member I am pretty ****** off. Not only have we been told we will not receive a ballot paper, there is also the issue of the party losing members’ details, which is a major breach of new GDPR rules,” he said.

“It makes the legitimacy of the ballot very dodgy. How many more members have not got their ballot paper if the database is in such a mess?”