1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Boris and Jeremy Show

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Aquamarina1234, Jul 9, 2019.

1. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Yes, I thought he came over much better than I expected. But, as the BBC's Norman Smith pointed out, the programme will most likely have simply confirmed the views of Tory members, and not changed them, leaving Boris still well in the lead.

sodalime likes this.
  2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Why are we surprised ? They are dumb Tory voters after all. I was no Hunt fan before the programme but he looked outstanding compared with the blond buffoon (Dangerous blond buffoon that should have been!)

monicabilongame and ilovesooty like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

This article headline sums up my view on the "debate" last night:

We’d be better off picking someone at random and giving them keys to No 10

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...meone-at-random-and-giving-them-keys-to-no-10

It ends:

The closing credits rolled and Boris heaved a sigh of relief. Sure he’d been **** – he’d shown his angry, spiteful, bullying side – but not **** enough to make a difference. The Tory members really were that mad. Just as planned, he’d got away by acting like a guilty 12-year-old caught playing the clown. Over at ITV headquarters, the controller broke down in tears. He had cleared the schedules for this. For this. He should have stuck to Love Island.

4. florian gassmann

You may be surprised but "we" are not. ;)

Mind you I was surprised to hear John Major, discussing the debate on Radio 4 a few minutes ago, claim that the last person to prorogue parliament was Charles II in the 1640s [sic].

emerald52 and mothorchid like this.
  5. florian gassmann

Say, Nigel Farage, perhaps? :eek:

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Yes, @florian gassmann, and he only needed to watch BBC4 last night to remind himself which Charles he was actually talking about.
    He'd have been better off than if he had been watching the "debate".

7. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Of course it doesn't matter which of the two becomes Tory leader and Prime Minister. They're both about to take a tax-cutting wrecking ball to the economy.

monicabilongame and emerald52 like this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Boris came over as positive, Hunt is another Theresa May and came over as desperate IMO. All Hunt will do is continue with BRINO tactics.
    Boris gave nothing away to the remainers he will be a much stronger negotiator and he was right not to move on the deadline. Any fool knows that when negotiating you do not give your opponents room to outmanoeuvre you. Something TM never understood.
    BJ’s cabinet will be his first indication on how he will proceed.
    Anyway, we will soon see some action from a genuine Brexiter for the first time in three years:p:p

border_walker likes this.
  9. geraldbeattie

geraldbeattie New commenter

I feel than all posters here are missing the most important point of the Hunt vs Johnson debate. We need to be massively grateful that one of them wasn't that charming and charismatic Mr Gove.

lexus300 likes this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

You do know he wrote two columns for after the referendum, right? One supporting remain and one supporting leave?

Don't be so easily fooled.

11. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If the date is not changing, there is nothing to be negotiated and no time to do it.
    Tusk said “Please don’t waste this time". 3 months of the 6 has been wasted already.

12. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I didn't waste my time watching a debate on a process in which I am not democratically represented.

The country would be much better off without either individual.

But the show is a demonstration of how self absorbed the elite are and how the mainstream media continue to enact the pantomime of the UK general population having some say in the matter. 99% odd don't. The debate is merely smoke and mirrors.

To me it just confirms that Mainstream TV think of themselves as purveysrs of Tory propaganda.

If the process was presented for what it was, Hobson's choice, with the pretence of choice but you will get a Tory plonker either way.

Neither candidate will do anything for the average person. Tax cuts will be for the rich and those that are profiting for the devastation of Austerity.

If you have a vote in this, then you must be a paid member of the Tory party; as a teaching professional I say shame on you.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  13. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Although most of us have no say in the Conservative leadership campaign clearly there is an interest from the general public about which of them it will be, thus commercial TV meets that need/want/desire, simple.

14. florian gassmann

I watched the entire hour, but it didn't tell me which of them it will be.

afterdark likes this.
  15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Indeed but you had the interest to watch and that desire to watch was met, whether you got from it what you desired with hindsight is a different matter.

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Quite frankly I'd consider Gove more competent than Johnson.

smoothnewt likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Not setting the bar very high though, is it?;)

ilovesooty likes this.
  18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I wonder if any of those Tory members who have already voted for Johnson are now wishing they hadn't, given how he has shafted our Ambassador and representative of the Crown?

smoothnewt likes this.
  19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Oh I agree.

20. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter