1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Book

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bed, Sep 13, 2011.

1. bed

bed New commenter

So I'm going to write a novel.
    Anybody got any plot ideas I can steal?
    You'll get no acknowledgement or money or anything
    I only want to steal
    All I can think up is one about a boy who finds out he's a wizard and has to spend his childhood fighting evil
    but apparently it's already been done! BAH

C'mon people!!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

A secondary school, classes of 12 pupils, the head has 2 children at the school and is starting a relationship with the caretaker whose son has got the head's daughter pregnant and her friend...................................

Hell, that's been done as well!!

3. How about a novel about a woman, who doesn't really want children, but decides to have one anyway, has a really difficult relationship with said child, who perpetuates extreme social difficulties and cruel behaviours throughout his childhood, before becoming a school shooter and also murders her husband and second child, but she makes it all up with him at the end?

Oh, bummer.........

4. A group of strangers (possibly teachers) all submit anonymous replies to an internet forum. Then someone on there arranges a big meet up, and two of them turn out to be past lovers. Unfortunately, they are both married to other people who are also at the meet up.
    They are caught in a room together, by the husband of the woman. He kills them, and then sets about killing everyone else on the forum, one by one, in a variety of imaginative ways by way of needless and senseless revenge.
    In the end, the only people left are him and the initially wronged wife. They then get married, as they had been having an affair all along.

5. Well, I have this idea...
    A young girl is brought up by her relatives. They are quite rich, but don't treat her well. She is happy to be sent to boarding school. The school is actually quite dire. The staff - with one exception don't care much for the pupils. Our heroine becomes friendly with another girl (they even share a bed!) - but the other girl dies.
    On leaving school our girl - now grown into a somewhat plain but nonetheless attractive young lady becomes a teacher. She gets a job with a good-looking but brooding, sombre guy who is home-schooling a young girl he looks after. Of course, the teacher and the guy fall in love. But it can't be all plain-sailing. So I was thinking that maybe there could be a twist - he is already married but doesn't tell her! She only finds out on their wedding day.
    She runs off and has an romance with some meek, pasty-faced chap who is clearly not right for her.
    She comes to her senses and goes back to her real love - he has had some sort of an accident (I'll work out the details later...I'm thinking blindness?) so she feels sorry for him and is more able to forgive him. And i need to find some way to get rid of the first wife so we can have a happy ending. ...Maybe kill off the first wife? Perhaps if I make her insane the reader won't be too distressed if I kill her off? And insanity woul make a good reason for her husband to not want to mention her...yes that might work.
    I think the story has potential....it might even make a half-way decent film.....I'm happy to let the OP see if they can write it....

6. How about a story of how a poster on a forum asks for book ideas. A dashing cyclist from the South West comes up with a great idea. The original poster uses the idea, and decides to meet up with the idea originator to say thank-you.
    They then fall hopelessly in love, and embark upon a passionate affair, which takes them all over the world as the author is invited to increasingly exotic locations for book signings.
    They eventually retire to a secluded French chateau, where they continue to publish succesful books and live happily ever after?

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

There is a caterpillar who is very hungry . . .

8. There's this woman. She's quite young, and proud. Very beautiful. And she meets a man somehow. He's very attractive and all the women idolise him but at their first encounter he says or does something that she finds outrageously terrible, and she hates him forever. They meet again, by chance. She is a bit stand-offish with him and he lashes out and is rather rude to her. Meanwhile she is being pursued amorously by a man who seems attractive but she doesn't fancy him, even though she wants to. On one or two occasions she pretends to be "with" him, but mostly because the first guy, the hateful one, is around and she thinks he is really arrogant and wants to appear not to notice him because she hates him.
    There is a disaster of some sort, and that really horrible man risks his life to save her. She is unconscious and wakes up to find herself in his arms. Giddy with relief and delirium she starts kissing him and they make very passionate love.
    Afterwards they talk and they find that the reason she hated him at first was all based on a misunderstanding - he wasn't horrible at all! In fact she adores him and fancies him, and that is why she never fancied the other guy.
    They know they will love each other for ever because with their fiery personalities they complement each other perfectly.
    This one you can rewrite as many times as you like, just change the names and the circumstances of the various encounters. When I was a teenager I must have read about 20 Mills and Boons that were all exactly that story. Must be space for a few more.....

9. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

How about our heroine wakes up after being in a coma for a month.She looks in the mirror and she has lost 3 stone and is slim ,with long glossy hair,translucent skin,big bright eyes.....

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So how about a boy who finds out he's evil and spends his childhood fighting wizards?

11. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

ohhh I am intrigued ...tell me more.

12. Rabbits with imagination and a theme tune by Mike Batt?

13. bed

bed New commenter

A mad misanthropic lesbian exacts her revenge on the people who abused her - what about a 3 book deal?

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

How about prequels to classic novels?

The 38 Steps

The Two Musketeers

etc..

15. ...The Jedi goes on Holiday.

16. bed

bed New commenter

RIght then - need a good title
    look around the room - Pick a random objects, adjectives, emotions etc etc and put together...

The Tissue Coffee Table
    An Unrequited Gladioli
    Bemused Sofas and Tear-Stained Wine Glasses