1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Book Price help

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Hothead60, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Hothead60

Hothead60 New commenter

I've been browsing mini coopers at a local mini dealership and was offered £5400 for my Mazda MX5 which is five years old and has 20,500 miles on the clock in part exchange. I had hoped for a bit more, but was told that that was 'the book price'. What is the book price and is it reasonable?

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

3. Hothead60

Hothead60 New commenter

Thank you so much for this link. The trade in price is £7200 - quite a difference!

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Cross check here.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-valuation

Remember you will generally be offered less by a dealer than you could get in a private sale.

You don't have to get into the weeds of valuation when haggling - my technique is usually to have a changeover price in my head, i.e the money I am prepared to part with to drive off in a car of my choice. How the dealer cuts his prices to get the best commission for himself is irrelevant; he can have my old car for nothing if he brings the price of the new one down sufficiently. It's a good time of year to buying, so you can be cheeky. Good luck. :)

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  5. Hothead60

Hothead60 New commenter

Thank you - I really appreciate your advice. It would seem there is some room for negotiation. I'll have to gird my loins as I dislike that sort of thing!