1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'The blade itself' Joe Abercrombie (fantasy series)

Discussion in 'Book club' started by veni_vidi, Oct 28, 2011.

1. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Hello, has anyone read these yet? I thought the were fantastic and the most satisfying fantasy i've read in a long time. I've recommened to a few people (on here as well as real life), but want to see what someone else thinks. My sister, who usually devours books is being unusually slow in starting this one, very frustrating!
    Very complex characters, witty dialogue, great stories and gripping action. Some info here http://www.joeabercrombie.com/books/
    Waiting for the next one...as usual with fantasy [​IMG]

2. I read them earlier this year and, like you, enjoyed them very much. I loved Logen Ninefingers and his motley crew.
    I have Heroes and Best Served Cold on my wish list.

Like your sister, I struggled to start the first book, but I'm so glad I stuck with it.

3. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Finally, another reader, ha. Yeah i love Logen, and even colonal Glokta the torturer, who you start hating and end up rooting for. Love how the mages are not the saviours first thought. I've read all four books and none have disappointed. [​IMG]

4. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

Oh yes, i have read those and enjoyed them! Well the first 5 or 6 books anyway, did think the later ones had far too many speeches and less action. Wasn't very happy atthe end of the last book. Thanks!