1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The BIG GET TOGETHER thread

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Tandy, Apr 15, 2007.

1. wibble spoke VERY highly of you

2. maths126

maths126 New commenter

3. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Follow up information for my Six Dice mischief:

1) Stack them "any way you like" - the total of the horizontal hidden faces is then 7n - u where n is the number of dice and u is the upper face in the stack.

2) Snake Eyes
    A Snake Eye is a one-spot on the die. One snake eye is debilitating - the turn ends with zero points scored on that turn. Two snake eyes is fatal - the turn ends with zero points scored on that turn, and to make it worse, all previous banked points are also zeroed.
    The winner is the first to 100 accumulated points in the bank. Miraculously, if you are killed by two snake eyes you can still stay in the game - you just start from scratch.
    Each player can roll the two dice as many times as they wish on their go, provided that no snake eye is rolled. The cumulative dice total can be banked at any time before the first snake eye is seen.

3) 5000
    one-spot = 100 points
    five-spot = 50 points
    (2, 2, 2) = 200 points
    (3, 3, 3) = 300 points
    etc.
    (6, 6, 6) = 600 points
    (1, 1, 1) = 1000 points
    3 pairs = 1200 points
    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) = 2000 points
    6 of a kind = 5000 points
    NB All these 'Combination Points' can only be claimed if the requisite dice have rolled the combination in a single throw.
    When it is a player's turn, they roll all six dice. Scoring dice can be retained to "buy" a second roll with the rest of them. Total points can be banked at any time, but rolling a zero-scoring hand annuls the go completely and no points are banked.
    The minimum score for the first hand is 750.
    If all the dice have been rolled and they have scored at each roll, an additional roll of all six must be made to 'make good' the total so far. Re-rolling proceeds as above if desired.
    First player to bank 5000 points wins the game.

Note: this game is popular in France, where it is known as "5000"
    (but of course they pronounce that Cinq Mille)

4. brilliant 126
    thanks very much for everything you do
    cheers

5. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Have just returned from France.

What will I be doing next year, well...

... I came out at the meeting, so they all know. But, I'm afraid it's not for the t'internet yet

6. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

7. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

8. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Tandy your one big tease!

9. I know but, like others, promised not to tell.............

... now, that's a tease.......

10. Maths126

Mrs Valed wants to thank you for the Snake Eyes game.
    She played it with her 4 & 5 yr olds at school - they shrieked when they got killed by the snake eyes.

I have done the stack-em dice trick with years 7,8,9 and 10 - nobody sussed it. I really hammed it up - holding my temples, shutting my eyes, getting TOTAL silence as they did not want to interfere with my ESP... Thanks.

O, and Mrs Valed would also like to thank everyone she met for the warm welcome.............

11. blue117

blue117 New commenter

12. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Excellent to hear about your successes, Mr & Mrs Valed!

Sounds like you do the stack-em dice trick (great name!) even better than me, Valed - LOL at the thought of your class thinking of you as the next Derren Brown!

Thanks for pushing the Set Game, Blue. It's a cracker.

13. Who is Derren Brown?

14. WOW!

I am blown away by that.......

... truly never heard of him!

I am awaiting banishment as I write........

15. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

Remember when we all used to be friends?! [​IMG]

What on earth has happened to this forum?

16. i thought we (almost) all still were
    do you fancy reveiving the meet-up thought tandy?

17. DM

DM New commenter

I don't think that would be very wise right now.

18. Tandy

Tandy New commenter

True, we still are (mostly).

I would love to meet up again... I thought that the three or four times that we did were great... seeing the look on a young waiter's face while maths126 made balloon parrots was classic!