1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Big Brothering of TES.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by keyboard2, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

I've been around here since 2010. The last year or two have been remarkably different in terms of diversity of thought.

Yesterday yet another thread was locked. Comments were removed for "breaching" the terms and conditions. The terms and conditions are vacuous and unspecific, deliberately so I would argue.

We've become an intolerant bunch. Not once - ever - have I reported a thread or a post. Yet many other people seemingly do and the moderators appear to remove posts that criticise the current trendy shibboleths: self identification (thread closed yesterday and a number of comments removed), transgenderism, terrorism, Islam, etc.

I have been suspended at least three times and no reason has ever been given.

It's very Orwellian around these parts. It needs to change. It needs to become more diverse.

figrowan, vinnie24, towncryer and 8 others like this.
  2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Mods have ultimate power. In this "universe" we seem to have reached a stage where nobody can be criticised in case it hurts their feelings. When the rich treat their kids in this way (or more like their nannys do) they grow up to be totally self-centred and think they can do/say no wrong, and that criticism, which may be genuine and warranted is a personal attack. This is why we have people in power like Trump, Rees Mogg, Boris and so on. Not everyone comes from this background, but it sure creates sociopaths.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Not another thread moaning about what can't be said.

Again, you appear to be blaming other posters for reporting but you do not have any evidence of this whatsoever. I fully expect it is done to prevent threads falling foul of the site guidelines as had happened in the past.

The large majority of people here can discuss such issues without resorting to terms that fall foul of the guidelines.

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It is a cyber-nanny-state these days.

les25paul likes this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It comes and goes in waves. A couple of years ago almost any discussion of Islam was shut down very quickly, it's not so bad as it was now, these days any thread that mentions self-identification seems to get shut down before long.

I don't think it's so much that people want to say outrageous things and are frustrated that they can't but that certain topics seem to be deemed too "sensitive" at different times for TES to risk hosting discussions about them. That and possibly some posters (or perhaps members but non-posters) are quick to report not very much at all.

I've always felt there's an element of the prim primary school about this forum, for instance see how many get all huffy and superior if you try to claim that swearing is ok.

Jamvic likes this.
  6. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

TES is very educational - my vocabulary is now improved, having looked up what shibboleth means - I thought it was just a login system for academic access to journals!

jomaimai and Jamvic like this.
  7. keyboard2

Don't respond. Your choice.

Plenty of evidence available. If you choose to ignore it, that's your problem. Not mine.

The evidence suggests otherwise.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  8. keyboard2

Can one become a sociopath? It is my understanding that psychopaths/sociopaths are born with defects.

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. Scintillant

There is no evidence available at all unless you can point me to people saying that they have made specific complaints. My comment on the thread that was closed last week postulating that probably no-one had complained and that the thread was simply locked to prevent predictable issues arising was "liked" by a moderator, perhaps giving you an indication of the true picture..

Please do not claim other people are reporting posts when you have no evidence for this at all.

No, it is only a few people out of the large number using this forum that fall foul of the moderation system.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  10. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I love everyone....

les25paul, Laphroig, nizebaby and 3 others like this.
  11. keyboard2

Which is different to saying there is no evidence. Do you even know what you are saying?

Oh dear, that is worrying. Evidence: a thread was closed.

You should consider why instead of responding with your usual banality.

Plenty of evidence. If you choose to ignore this evidence, that is your problem. Not mine.

Members only "fall foul" - whatever that means - of the system when trendy shibboleths are discussed openly.

Learn to be more tolerant.

Sir_Henry likes this.
  12. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

are you sure rabbits are fascist?

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. red_observer

Oh yes....:)

14. Scintillant

Ok, There is no evidence.

If you have it, let's see it.

15. keyboard2

Threads were closed yesterday.

16. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I love everyone too. Its sooooo much easier since I had that nasty lobe removed from my brain. Now all I see are kittens and flowers and yes, I love Big Brother. And Big Sister too. You should all try it. I'll pass the soup spoon.

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Even moi? :D
    tenor.gif

18. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

TES lizzie wrote that the self-identificatioon thread was locked "after numerous reports".

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  19. red_observer

From no we can engage in constructive debate if that’s ok with you.... luv?!:D:D

20. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Psychopaths are born, sociopaths are made

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.