1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The best, worst, 'what if/dream' concerts.....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sabrinakat, Nov 6, 2015.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I was watching a Sky Arts concert of Pink Floyd in the amphitheatre at Pompeii (very surreal) and later chanced upon one of the music channels showind Adele performing Someone Like You at the Brits 2011 and it got me thinking....

1. What was the best concert you ever went to?
    2. What was the worst?
    3. What if or dream concerts?

1. Best - the Smiths in a 2,000 seater theatre in Washington, DC in June (I think) 1985. Opening act was Billy Bragg! The Smiths were popular over here (in the UK), but not yet the darlings of the alternative college scene in the USA. The theatre was only half full....
    2. The worst - REM at Argillen (sp) Castle near Dublin, Ireland. I love REM and have since the mid-1980s when you couldn't understand most of their lyrics (my brother went to Georgia Tech (Atlanta) from 1984-1988 and REM are from around that area). Why the worst? A drunken crowd that sang throughout and you couldn't hear REM!
    3. The dream/what if: a. 1. Elvis in 1950s/60s but shut those screaming girls up (distracts from the music, natch!); 2.Adele in a small venue like a 1940s/1950s NYC jazz club,and 3.I want to say the great Robert Parker or Dizzy Gillespie but maybe something silly like going to Branson, Missouri and hearing Andy Williams.

Ideas?

1. Please note that while I grew up in the USA in the 70s/80s, thank you for the music that defined my teenage years/first years of university, which included The Smiths, the Cure, Duran Duran and what may have been your UK Top of the Pops (were the Smiths ever on TOTP?), but was the American alternative scene.
    2. Depending on the mood, my music tastes range from classical (love Chopin) to the Sex Pistols, because we all have moments where you just need a bit of the booming bass!

2. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Best - Pink Floyd The Wall at Earls Court in 1981 or thereabouts

Worst - B A Robertson at the Apollo in Glasgow

Dream concert - not a concert as such, but a live Zumba show with Beto Perez

*drools*

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Best: Libertines reunion, Reading festival 2010
    Worst: Red Hot Chili Peppers at Live Earth, Wembley stadium 2007. I was so looking forward to the, but don't know if it was the venue or the audience or just a bad day but I was really disappointed!
    Dream: will have to think about this one.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

The best... tis difficult.....
    my first R.E.M concert was in the Men arena and it was a dreadful venue but... I had been so excited and so looking forward to it... but because I could hardly see the band.... it can't rate. I did "run away from home" the following week to go and get a ticket from a tout to see them at the additional concert they put on in the grounds of Stirling castle...to turn the corner of the castle wall and to see the stage and the fact that I could see from way at the back let alone where I can still move forward to..... was just fabulous. Great concert so it is up there. There again..... I was at the very front at Move Manchester and got to touch Michael Stipe, and again at another Old Trafford concert where I got Stipe's lyric sheet to "so fast so numb".... Can't forget the fan club shows at Dublin's Olympia where again I was in the "golden circle" at the front (8 hours of sitting on the pavement outside got me in that first 100 in through the door) and..... got a set list from the stage....
    So I think for that first thrill..... it would be that Stirling Castle concert.......

Have to admit to the sheer fun and delight in my first ever Erasure concert ... Manchester Apollo 4 years ago. Oh they were such fun and the rocked :) (Erasure are my guilty secret!

Have seen some wonderful concerts..... The Who with Keith Moon circa 1971 Liverpool Uni..... Dylan was pretty good at Wembley circa 1984, and I loved Leonard Cohen 2013 (though the concert at Belle Vue in 1972 was a contender for the worst..... but that was down to the dreadful audience rather than LC)

The worst though has to be Van der Graaf Generator. Was taken to see them and it was an evening of my life I would never wish to repeat. Awful....not one thing to salvage an awful concert!

Still hoping that one day I ill get to a Jimmy Somerville concert before I am too old to even sway!

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Best? Lady Antebellum a coupla years ago. Some Birmingham venue. Standing on the sofas having a good bop.

Worst? Ten Years After at York Uni. 1973/4. Interminable ruddy guitar solos. BORING.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Best: Queen live in Hyde Park, September 1976. As well as loving Queen, I was 18 and just a few weeks away from leaving home to go to university after the most memorable summer ever.
    (My 'Best' shortlist also has on it The Stones at Wembley 1995, Elton John at several venues, Queen at Liverpool Empire 1977 - a 'normal' theatre venue, Tom Robinson Band at Liverpool Empire 1978, Springsteen at Roundhay Park, Leeds in 1985...)

Worst: The Enid, Liverpool 1978. Dire.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru

SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru Occasional commenter

The best: The Pink Floyd Sound, mid 1966 in the basement of a Victorian terrace somewhere in London - I think it was a drop-in education centre.

The worst: Pat Matheny London 1981/2 (can't remember) - left me underwhelmed.

sabrinakat likes this.
  8. SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru

Good heavens. Surely not. Robert John Godfrey is an absolutely delightful fellow.

My dream concert: the Royal Sackbut and Shawm Ensemble performing at a local drinking hostelry.

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Cliff Richards at Wimbledon.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Have been to two concerts this past week, unusually - and saw 2 artists / bands last seen 35+ years ago:

1. Tom Robinson at the Holmfirth Picturedrome: lovely venue and interesting to be in the company of such an affable raconteur in such an intimate little venue.
    He has updated the lyrics to Sing if you're Glad to be Gay and Power in the Darkness - very effective.
    Very enjoyable evening.

2. U2 at the O2 on Tuesday. Last seen at the bottom of the bill - headed by Wah Heat - at Manchester Poly in 1980 - paid 50p to get in. This week: stadium rock - it did nothing for me except to remind me that I am getting too old for such a load of noise.

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Loved Dire Straits at Maine Rd and Everly Brothers at Manchester Apollo (very very special that one). Also Ruby Turner at a small club in Glossop.
    Various Rod Stewart shows and Leonard Cohen were special too
    First gig ever was the Beach Boys at Birmingham Odeon in about 1967 and it felt very flat. i didn't know what to expect but was disappointed.
    Dream gig - I'd love to see Pulp doing their old stuff.

sabrinakat likes this.
  12. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

When videos first came out, I bought this for my ex brother-in-law, it cost £39.99 - a blimmin' fortune at the time

Ah Helen, we might have been rubbing shoulders at both REM gigs except I always stand front left.
    Never, never, NEVER be ashamed of Erasure. Once again, I was front left.
    Regarding Van der Graaf Generator - it could have been so much worse - it could have been Sunn O ))) :D

I concur - seen a fair few bands here. In fact, one of the first gigs they put on the ticket was a printed card with a raffle ticket stapled to it.

Best - Faithless @ Rock City Jan 1999. Not my favourite band but everything was just right, the sound, the crowd, the band. They took us high, higher, shook us around and then took us even higher!
    Worst - Iggy Pop @ Rock City July 1981. Utter tosh, he was truly obnoxious, stomped off because someone had thrown the mike stand back at him (after he'd chucked it in the crowd) and didn't come back on stage for about half an hour.

Neither of these, I would class as my favourite bands. I can usually take something good away from a not so sparkling performance. I've been to some real stinkers but there was always ray of something good that occured (booze or friends perhaps;))

The gig I should have gone to but didn't...probably The Specials here in my home town in June 1979. But I'd snuck out the night before (well told Old Ma Spirit I was stopping at my friend's house to do homework...) to see The Cure at the same venue and didn't want to push my luck.

HelenREMfan and sabrinakat like this.
  13. SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru

Evidently the more complex and challenging music is lost on the ladies who do seem to have a preference to pop or male romantic leanings: hence Freddie Mercury, Dire Straits (couldn't get much more dire} Lionel Richie, and dare I say it; REM.

Incidentally; a little known fact, but there was another earlier REM (Rapid Eye Movement) begun around 1979/80 featuring Hatfield & the North keyboardist, Dave Stewart.

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Now that HelenREMfan has told her Michael Stipe story....

I once met Natalie Merchant of 10,000 Maniacs at a concert - we had driven some 8+ hours in a blizzard and were invited to meet the band; she made an odd comment about my dimples and marbles?
    and.....at that Warner Theatre concert back in 1985, it was too crowded in the front of the stage (this was the days of slam-dancing and I am 5 foot tall) and Morrissey actually pulled me onto the stage, where I sat Indian style for a song or two -- it was so cool.

off for dinner!

HelenREMfan and kibosh like this.
  15. SirHenry--at--NdunyuNjeru

I don't think I have heard this one. Is it similar to the jive?

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Best: Dolly Parton at the NEC last year. She played a great mix of oldies and new tracks and was such a likeable and engaging speaker. She played about 8 different instruments as well as singing beautifully.

Close runners up include BB King, The Rolling Stones, The Stereophonic and Robbie Williams at Knebworth.

Worst: Elton John at the NEC about 8 years ago. He played very few of his classics. He did do Rocket Man but turned it into a 20 minute remixed version by repeatedly singing "Rocket Man" in different keys. We left early.

17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

All the Rufus Wainwright concerts I have been to.

18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Renaissance concert in the 70s at Hammersmith. Loved Scheherazade!

19. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Music shouldn't be hard work for the person appreciating it.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  20. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh Sir Henry!

I have done my time with Prog..... Thick as a brick II with Ian Anderson, Porcupine Tree, Peter Gabriel, Roxy, and Yes of course..... but Peter Hammil and his crew was just dire. seated next to me was the self proclaimed biggest Van der Graaf Generator fan ever..... who spent most of the concert he was awake for ...drinking...til he passed out ! His snoring was preferable to Vd G G .