1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the best thing about being a tutor is....

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by langteacher, Mar 1, 2018.

1. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

flexible hours
    job satisfaction
    working from home
    no one telling me how to do my job
    no one moving the goalposts

feel free to continue......

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  2. 19sunflower

19sunflower New commenter

All of the above plus respectful students (most of the time)
    Not having to put up with horrible bosses

Mrsmumbles and needabreak like this.
  3. langteacher

Oo yes none of that behaviour management malarkey

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

almost no marking
    no written lesson plans
    no pointless meetings or inset

Mrsmumbles and sazad99 like this.
  5. langteacher

no acronyms

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  6. alarge77

alarge77 New commenter

No staff meetings!

Mrsmumbles and needabreak like this.
  7. langteacher

Cheaper holidays

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

But a low income unless you can attract loads of students.

I'm a full time teacher who tutors a bit. Not sure I could make a living from just the tutoring though.

9. langteacher

That depends on your subject and how much you need to make a living.
    My friend is a maths tutor and she earns a lot less in the holidays because all of her students are school age.
    I'm a language teacher. About two thirds of my students are adults with no connection to schools .Therefore I can work during the day and also throughout the holidays
    I don't have any dependents or a mortgage so I'm not sure if would be quite enough for that but I'm doing OK

10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I'm in the same situation, which means I don't have to teach any objectionable students, or those with objectionable parents. It's great to be able to turn away rude enquiries that simply ask about your availability, without giving information about themselves. In doing so I usually let them know that a good tutor is doing them a massive favour, and not the other way around. It's also nice to be able to terminate the tuition of students who annoy me: usually by cancelling or not turning up. These days, schools put up with a hell of a lot of nonsense from students and their parents. One of the best things about tutoring is not having to put up with any of this.

11. Skywatcher17

Skywatcher17 New commenter

12. langteacher

I do the odd one at 845....but it's at home

13. Bashkemesuesi

Bashkemesuesi New commenter

(1) To a point; sure, you can freely decide your hours as long as the student can make it, but thereafter it has to be the same hour each week and you can't easily change it.

(2) Well that entirely begs the question of what you like doing, doesn't it?

(3) Again, something slightly fishy here. Most people who prefer to work from home, if they're honest, prefer it because they're rather asocial, so how that ties in with making good relationships with students is something I'd rather leave to you to explain

(4) and (5) yeah, except for the minority of shrews who blatantly do move the goalposts, or rather tell you about certain goalposts they had in mind and then spring them on you after the fact and terminate without another word being said

At least in the case of tutoring the "horrible bosses" generally self-terminate and constitute a self-solving problem

You do realise that Sebedina is going to think you a very rotten tutor?

This claim seems to make sense only in terms of a comparison with school teaching - and even then, only in the case of your own subject which as you've said draws you mainly adult students. For others teaching school students, they're basically tied in to school terms just as much as teachers - yes, they could take breaks, but would lose their income for that period, and the times when they likely have fewest students are already school holiday times and therefore make for expensive holidays.

But underlying all this is the unspoken assumption of having no school-age children. Anybody who has, has virtually no chance of "cheaper holidays" regardless of their profession.

Quite, and I'd be interested to know who on here (apart from langteacher apparently) makes an adequate income entirely from tutoring. In fact I don't recall seeing anyone here who does or has ever done anything else except from teach in schools. If you abandon that, can you really make enough just in evenings?

Once you get to a certain stage in life, kids have flown and the mortgage is paid off, so sure. But in that event, why not try to go for something where you don't even have to be in a specific location to do it?

14. langteacher

1 Up to a point in the evening, yes it needs to be the same every week but I found that most students / parents don't mind missing the odd week or changing to another day here and there unless I am absolutely fully booked with not an hour to spare.
    2. I like teaching. I don't like ticking boxes to move schools up league tables regardless of whether the students actually understand, and can use, what they have studied.
    3. People who actually know me would find the thought of my being described as asocial as very amusing. I am a typical chatty northern girl (well woman!) Going back to the first point of flexibility, the working from home makes my hours more flexible, e.g., if someone wants to swap a day, I don't need to factor in a new route from someone else's house on that day, so therefore I am more likely to be able to accommodate them
    4 /5 I have never had a private tutoring student move any goal posts. Yes there are people who finish, but that's natural and their spaces, particularly evening ones are usually filled up quickly

15. langteacher

I have a friend who teaches maths, she rarely goes away in school holidays, she may do a few extra hours before and after a holiday and gives the students plenty of notice. Like I said, flexibility

With regard to no school age children, I don't have children but had 17 years of paying full whack for my holidays so there is no way I am doing it now I don't have to!

Once you get to a certain stage in life, kids have flown and the mortgage is paid off, so sure. But in that event, why not try to go for something where you don't even have to be in a specific location to do it?[/QUOTE]
    Because I enjoy what I do and I enjoy where I do it

16. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I love working with kids and teaching.

Also I have a few medical problems so it means I get flexibility of hours in case I have a bad day. No bad days yet!

Mrsmumbles and langteacher like this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Yeah you could!

18. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I’m the same! Better working hours have really helped me heal. Particualrky mentally. I think I had some sort of ptsd. Getting better now. It’s so sad to type it, but...even tough I loved teaching in a school, the best thing about Tutoring for me is that it’s nothing like working in a school. Oh boy. Crazy, thankless job, schoolteaching.

19. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I am about 3 months away from having to register for self employment now, I’ve just taken on student number 6!

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  20. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

Yep. What hurt most was once people know you are leaving whatever the reason they just start ignoring you and I had so much bullying by one teacher it was awful. It’s taken tutoring to give me back some self respect and confidence in my abilities.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.