1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The best meal of the year

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Dec 26, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

We're somewhat ahead of you here at modelmaker mansion as I cooked our turkey a couple of days befor Christmas and today, it needed to be disposed of.
    We'd had our roast dinner, had our turkey sandwiches, cold turkey with pickles and bubble and squeek. The dog has had more than her share, so it ends up with the traditional turkey soup, which for me, is one of the best meals ever.
    Turkey bones rendered down to a sticky stock, a few vegetables, today it was just onion, carrot,and garlic, a handful of lentils and pearl barley and some spicy seasoning to keep you licking your lips, over and above the turkey stock.
    I have no idea why people don't cook their turkeys and then have have turkey soup as the main event, then live off the rest later.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Just thinking about pearl barley makes me retch. When I was a child my mother used to make chicken soup with the carcass and giblets and bits of veg and pearl barley and odd bits and pieces of the bird including random sharp pokey bones after Christmas. It used to make me feel sick. I was made to sit at the table for hours to eat mine while it cooled and a sticky film of fat congealed on the top. I was reminded of the starving babies in Africa, told I would be taken to the police station, caned with the bamboo rod over the mirror etc etc. All I can say is that however delicious this soup of yours is mm, I don't like to think about it.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not just me then? I could have written that.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

So could my mother, who used to blanch at the words 'yutkey stew'. Just noticed the typo and decided to leave it, btw.
    We've had a lot of turkey this year and we don't usually have any. It was nice.

What I don't like about christmas dinner is the 'all the trimmings' bit. I'm too old to stuff my plate full of all those different vegetables as well as all the other stuff. The only advantage is that I was too full for pudding, though the pigs in blankets were so lovely that I kept raiding the fridge all evening!
    Tonight we're having cottage pie. Lovely.
    Then there are all the other birds in the freezer to be eaten...
    I think we'll be having pigeon.

5. I made a lovely turkey and gammon pie for dinner, I was going to boil the turkey carcas to add to the roasted veg soup I'd made last week (and frozen), but by the time I'd turned around Mr Horse had chcked the bones in the bin!

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Haven't had so much as a mouthful of turkey this year!
    Rib of beef with all the trimmings on the big day. Capon with rice and mushroom fricasee on Boxing Day. Best of all - yesterday: cold, rare beef with chips, salad, horseradish sauce and pickles!

7. henriette

henriette New commenter

I had a sndwich of cold turkey, stuffing and cranberry on Monday night chez friends!
    Today was Family Day: cauliflower soup (yes, I know...);sausage casserole; pavlova

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

[​IMG]

9. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I made turkey noodle soup (jus chucked in what I felt like) and it is one of the best soups I have ever made! Just wish I had bought a whole turkey now instead of a crown. Also made a rendang curry (jar of rendang curry paste with my TLC thrown in ) twas to die for!!!