1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The best kitchen gadget EVER!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BelleDuJour, Dec 12, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

After reading the Actifry thread I'd like to share with you this kitchen gadget............simply brilliant!
    http://www.uutensil.com/product.php5?id=102
    It's a battery operated stirrer!
    Why you might ask?
    Well, some of you may recall my thread about burning milk products on an induction hob (not halogen, induction.......completely different). Whenever I warm milk, make roux based sauce, custard, rice pud I get a brown film on the base of the pan (mehling's reaction....remember it from uni days!) with the result of brown specks in everything. Only stirring the entire time prevents this which for 30 minutes on a rice pud is tiresome in the extreme, and for poaching meringues for Isles Flotante is impossible! I've tried to find out why this happens on induction hobs only but no luck. Must be to do with the unique way induction works (no direct heat).
    Anyway, this gadget saves the day. Just pop it in the pan with the milk/sauce/rice pud and switch on! Fantastic!
    Only thing it's no good for is Isles Flotante so in future I shall poach in water and use the gadget in the milk to make the custard.

2. BelleDuJour

After reading the Actifry thread I'd like to share with you this kitchen gadget............simply brilliant!
    http://www.uutensil.com/product.php5?id=102
    It's a battery operated stirrer!
    Why you might ask?
    Well, some of you may recall my thread about burning milk products on an induction hob (not halogen, induction.......completely different). Whenever I warm milk, make roux based sauce, custard, rice pud I get a brown film on the base of the pan (mehling's reaction....remember it from uni days!) with the result of brown specks in everything. Only stirring the entire time prevents this which for 30 minutes on a rice pud is tiresome in the extreme, and for poaching meringues for Isles Flotante is impossible! I've tried to find out why this happens on induction hobs only but no luck. Must be to do with the unique way induction works (no direct heat).
    Anyway, this gadget saves the day. Just pop it in the pan with the milk/sauce/rice pud and switch on! Fantastic!
    Only thing it's no good for is Isles Flotante so in future I shall poach in water and use the gadget in the milk to make the custard.

3. ljr

ljr New commenter

Thank you Belle, that looks amazing & the answer to my Sunday lunch problem.I have just placed my order (Amazon have them). I have an induction hob - which I love - but I can't leave the gravy slowly simmering in the meat pan any more because its not the right metal, and as soon as I transfer it to a saucepan it sticks. When I'm trying to do half a dozen other things at the same time a gadget like this will be great. Up til now probably my favourite gadget (if we are excluding large things like the Magimix) would have to be my stick blender - it makes the most amazing Yorkshire puds!

4. BelleDuJour

It's brilliant! Truly it is and inexpensive too. You will love it!

5. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Might be useful to me next time I make lemon/lime/orange curd...in my experience, there's a fine line between the amount of stirring that'll result in lemon curd and the amount that'll give you lemony goo with bits of scrambled egg in it!