1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The best (free) ICT-based resources for teaching KS1 and KS2 Maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mature_maths_trainee, Jul 2, 2017.

1. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

[KS1/KS2 Maths Coordinators especially?]

I've finally decided to share an entirely free set of ICT-based resources for teaching, demonstrating and practising all the key Maths topics in the Primary curriculum (well over 100 in total). From simple counting, partitioning, number bonds etc. to fractions, ratios and basic algebra.
    The key/unique thing here is that they are very clearly indexed (and so easy for class teachers to find), and contain just the very *best* tools available from a wide variety of websites across the world.

So, perhaps before your school decides to purchase access to a particular Maths website or programme, consider what's available entirely free? *

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resour...nks-to-the-best-resources-on-the-web-11664772

All of the resources run on normal PCs/laptops - I'm aware that there's very many other useful apps available on Ipads and photos etc., but they aren't universally available.

MMT

* Commercial products do have one, *potentially* major advantage, in that they almost always keep a personalised record of students' prior scores and attainment. But I'm not convinced this is as big a benefit as it seems. Most Primary teachers maintain an excellent knowledge of each individual student's areas of strength and weakness, and automatically know what topics they need to practice more and which areas they need not. With this knowledge, it is easy for teachers to direct individual students to the topics they personally need to practice the most.
    [A major disadvantage of *all* commercial products, I believe, is that they all present a uniform style of branding that, after a while, becomes very boring. After months, or years of study, students can feel they are always 'doing the same thing', because they always go to the same website. An advantage of using the collated resources above is that there's considerable variety in the styles of presentation and interactivity, and that only the 'best' resources are chosen.]

2. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

I have meant to do this FOR YEARS! You are super-organised - instead of trying to remember the best sites for each topic (yes, really, that is how I do it - or weblinks scribbled onto ancient post it notes) you have collated the best of the best, and FILED IT ALL NEATLY. I'll add my own favourites if they are not there as time goes on. Totally agree with you re: needing lots of websites to keep things interesting, rather than sticking to one commercial product. Thank you for this - a superb undertaking.

3. mature_maths_trainee

mature_maths_trainee New commenter

That's exactly as I hope people would use it. Although I expect most teachers will want to use the vast majority of it 'as is', it's flexible enough that even if do they have their own favourite resources on a topic, they can easily add and replace those provided in an entirely seamless manner.
    MMT