1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The best approach to phonics in KS2.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vinorose, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hi there, I'm trying to think about the best way to ensure that phonics continues throughout KS2. We follow Letters and Sounds and set at the moment in Reception through to year 2. I was wondering whether to continue sets into year 3 as we have a wide range of abilites to try to support and then for the rest of KS2 to have whole class teaching/ daily activities that linked to a focus based on assessments.
    Just don't know what is the best approach!
    Any advice for how you are managing phonics across KS2 would be great, especially success stories.

Thanks!

2. I'd say that daily phonics sessions need to continue until children are secure at phase 6. Thereafter, support for spelling could be used, which recommends 5 x 15 minute sessions per fortnight if I remember correctly. I work in a special school at the moment and we continue with phonics until pupils are ready for support for spelling, even secondary aged pupils. Friends in mainstream primaries report that their ks2 classes have phonics for those who need it.