1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The best (and cheapest) union?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by b_m, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Oh dear. Apparently neither do you.

2. This thread is hilarious...
    Where does the money go!? A Union isn't a service... i.e. you pay your fees sit back and wait for results!!! This money goes towards paying the wages of the admin staff who process your membership form, creating and distributing newsletters keeping you up to date on industry news and laws, lobbying the Government, paying for thorough training of reps and committee members on a local, regional and national level, paying hardship payments for those who are disproportionately hit by taking solidarity action with their colleagues... I could go on...
    At the end of the day, if you are disappointed with the Union at your branch, get involved and change it. It's as simple as that. A Union is run for its members and by its members. The greater the density of membership and more active your members, the more results and better working conditions you will have. It really isn't rocket science.
    Try buying the cheapest car insurance you can find, and make a claim. I bet you don't get the response or the remuneration you were hoping for? As a previous poster already said, subs really are not an issue as it has absolutely NO bearing on the quality of service you will receive. YOU AND YOUR COLLEAGUES DO.

1 person likes this.
  3. 5 star? I think not.
    Covering the expenses of travelling out of town to attend essential training, including child-care, subsistence and nourishment? You bet. This is called good working conditions.
    Wouldn't you like that from your employer as well? Do you appreciate that "Do as I say, not do as I do" isn't a good platform to preach from?

4. A final thought...
    What has happened to real earnings, workload and working conditions in education since the Unions had their wings clipped by the Tories?
    Where did your statutory employment rights come from in the first place?
    SKA

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Many from the EU? Do I win a prize?

6. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

The government is not responsible for the failure of unions to act effectively in support of their members. I seem to spend an increasing amount of time these days trying to help posters find other sources of legal support when their unions have provided inaccurate or incomplete legal advice or negligent service.
    Statute! [​IMG]

7. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

and where did that come from? I take it you're not a history teacher?

8. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

No, thank goodness. I'm.a law student.

9. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

[​IMG]

10. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

then one would hope you know the political reasons behind how statute law is made and the role the labour movement played in improvement workers rights.

11. pancake99

pancake99 New commenter

<font size="2">Hmm some good
    points on here such as 'where have all the good working conditions gone' yeah
    agree with that so pity you cannot be employed by the union but then again if
    we were would they still provide five star treatment and nourishment...</font>

<font size="2">Oh to another poster yes I have needed the union - twice and was
    let down on both occasions by 'lost paperwork, poor representation and lack of
    legal advice - and that was with two different unions.</font>

<font size="2">On another note my friend is looking forward to the Bournemouth
    meeting coming soon. She doesn't really want to go to all the day stuff but as
    a single parent it's likely to be 'the only free holiday I'll have this year
    for me and xxx (her daughter). </font>

<font size="2">Have fun I say, glad my subs ain't paying!</font>

<font size="2">But yes subs do go on admin and unions do have other sources of
    income</font>

12. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

I am a Union Caseworker as well as a Full Time Teacher. For my Union Casework I am unpaid, I do not expect payment nor would I accept it. I do it because I believe in using my expertise and training to help Teachers in trouble. I give up hours of my time and am permanently on the phone dealing with stressed and troubled members, I do it because I stand by what I believe in. I am off to Conference in Bournemouth soon, Yes I will be staying in a Hotel, Yes I will have a Meal allowance and my travel paid for but in return I am in Conference from 9 till 8 every day, its tiring, I will be up on stage trying to make a difference, Yes I will be voting on issues that affect us. Its over Easter weekend which I gladly give up unpaid, its certainly no Holiday! I would like to think my membership appreciate what I do.

1 person likes this.
  13. thinlizzy2020

thinlizzy2020 New commenter

Hi everyone
    I know this is a really old thread, but wondered how your house insurance legal cover could possibly provide cover for teaching? Thank you