1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Benin - help!

Discussion in 'History' started by jan_et20, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Has anyone taught a world history study on the Benin?
    I teach Y5 and our topic this half term is Africa so it fits in nicely but I am struggling to find information and resources.
    Any help would be gratefully received.

2. Has anyone taught a world history study on the Benin?
    I teach Y5 and our topic this half term is Africa so it fits in nicely but I am struggling to find information and resources.
    Any help would be gratefully received.

3. It's "Benin" not "The Benin". You use definite articles for geographic regions, whereas country names should not be accompanied by articles at all. For instance, "The Ukraine" is the region of low-lying steppe in southern Europe, stretching from the Ural Mountains to the Carpathian Mountains, whilst "Ukraine" is a country covering most of this region. Similarly, "The Sudan" is a region of semi-desert in northern Africa, whilst "Sudan" is a country situated to the south of Egypt.

4. Sorry!

Has anyone taught a world history study on Benin?

5. pineapplehead

pineapplehead New commenter

Hi, have you tried the British Museum? It's Africa rooms have some amazing artefacts from Benin, some of which are controversial because there has been some debate about their return, I think. Also, the National Maritime Museum site www.understandingslavery.org might be useful for picture resources.

Hope this is of some help.

Good luck

Pxxx

6. Hello, I'm suposed to be doing the same thing. Did you manage to find out anything about Benin? I can't find any resources.

7. dhartley25

dhartley25 New commenter

Information for this topic can be hard to find. I have attached a basic information sheet about them I use for a lesson on the British Empire. Also is a worksheet the pupils use to collect information about them in conjunction with a textbook - The Impact of Empire SHP.
    You can either ask the History department for one(as it is a popular book) or purchase a copy for a couple of quid: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Impact-Empire-Colonialism-1500-2000-History/dp/0719585619/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333953044&sr=8-2
    This book has a whole chapter dedicated to it.