1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The benefits of being an NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Kimchi_Pickle, Dec 15, 2011.

1. I was in the supermarket earlier (and don't I just love that most of them are 24 hour now, meaning I can work until 9pm and still get my veggies), when I happened to see a magazine proclaiming the 'best way to get a flatter stomach!'.
    Pah, I know their secrets. It's simple. Become an NQT. You too can experience the simple technique of

- only having time for one meal a day. Eat it standing up, or marking, for that truly busy feeling

- working your abs with lifting of books and computers

- catching a nasty stomach virus from a child

- stress related bowel complaints

- living off tea

- functioning on caffeine

- sleeping 4 hours a night

The weight will fall right off. Along with your hair. And your nails. And your skin. And energy.

Seriously, am I the only NQT to have dropped a load of weight? People at work are starting to give me odd looks.

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I qualified in 1999 and we didn't have PPA time then. I found that I was resorting to ready meals on weekdays and I started eating things like Mars bars on the one hour drive home. I put on weight and felt worn out. It's a good job I was bordering on underweight before I embarked on teaching or I'd have been as big as a house after a year or two.
    Someone on my PGCE course was almost unrecognisable when we re-convened in College after the first teaching practice. She had lost a huge amount of weight. She travelled to school on her motorbike so couldn't eat Mars bars en route!

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

God, I don't have this issue at all, the reverse if anything. When I have lots of time I cook lovely healthy meals and prepare nice healthy snacks. When I'm busy, I don't miss out food, I just grab whatever's convenient....i.e. chocolate and crisps. I wish I had this problem!!