1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Beauty Room

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pickles124, Aug 29, 2017.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

She's fab!

Gel polish just dries under LED light and lasts for ages. You can do it yourself but my lovely lady is fab and does stamping too.

2. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

The niacinamide is great. Sorts my terrible skin out a treat. I might have to try some of hte other stuff if you say it works. I know my main problem is that I'm impatient and fall out of the habit of looking after my skin too easily.

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I've not really paid much attention to having and maintaining a skin care routine until the last 2 or 3 months. Before it would be wash face with soap and flannel, pat dry and a bit of simple face cream, no sunblock. That was it, morning or evening, nothing more, nothing less.

But I've had to change- my face was exploding in acne due to age related hormone changes.

I felt bad due to the hormone changes and I looked as though I had a terrible illness.

I feel so much better, in terms of appearance at least. I might feel like death warmed up but I look so much fresher than before. And that has been a revelation.

4. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

You do need to get into routine. I'm not good at consistency.
    I do have a little bit of scarring under between lip and chin where I've had recurring cold sores. Is your stuff too strong for that?
    Try using the Simple face wash or similar - you can get a travel size to try. Replacing soap will probably help even more. Or get the makeup eraser cloth which just uses water. It will get your face very clean indeedand leave no residue.

5. slingshotsally

I'm not sure, but the cold sores are due to virus?

It might be better to get the treatment that zaps those first or something you can apply immediately when you get a tingle.

The glycolic acid stuff I only use on raise acne scarring, NOT anywhere else. I don't suffer from cold sores (touch wood) so I'm sorry I cannot advise you on that.

6. emilystrange

I haven't had a proper cold sore for years, thank the heavens, but when I did they were awful. This is back in the day when we had any effective stuff to put on them. The marks aren't too bad, but some exfoliation generally improves them.
    I might investigate further.

7. slingshotsally

Be cautious- take medical advice if it is deep scarring.

8. emilystrange

it's not that bad, thankfully. but as i get older, it's becoming more visible - loss of elasticity, etc. as i intend to get quite a lot older, i may have to put up with it!

slingshotsally likes this.
  9. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Does anybody out there have any recommendations for getting rid of marks left by previous spots and any good products for clearing the skin.

I was taking Erythromycin but body seems to building up resistence to it- hence its no longer working. I seem to keep being plagued by blemishes.

10. pickles124

Oh my lord..this sounds very time consuming. Do you think someone in their early 30s need to use all thus to get rid of spots and marks? I swear to god i dont know the last time my face was completely clear.. i get a spot. It disappears. Then i get another one. And so on.

11. pickles124

So...eyeliner. Do you beauty people swear by eyeliner on top eyelid or do any of you line your lower eyelids. I always look like a panda 2 hours later after lining bottom rims. Actually my eyes look smaller when i line under my eyes.

Cant do the winged/smoky look for toffee. Totally hopeless. I find eye makeup a real pain.

12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Depends on what your eyes are like. Mine are deepset, quite hooded and downturned so too much bottom lash liner looks awful on me and winged liner is a no no.
    I like lining the top waterline rather than over the eyelashes because otherwise a) the eyeliner smudges onto my lid and b) it makes my hooded eyes look even more hooded. The waterline gives nice definition without making my eyes looks overwhelmed with makeup.
    I tend to use eyeshadow to line my eyes now because it's much less harsh. For my eye shape I have to use a dome shape to create the illusion of having smaller hoods to my eyes, and I just blend in a darker shade towards the outer corner and a lighter shade towards the inner corner on my actual eyelid, then smudge a dark brown along the lash line. I think it gives good definition without looking too 'made up'.
    Bottom lashes get a medium shade of shadow blended in. You can go much lower with shadow because it's much more subtle than liner, so I find it avoids the inevitable migration of liner downwards throughout the day!
    I exclusively use brown and neutral hinting towards golden shades of shadow anyway because I think it suits my eye colour best (dark amber brown).
    Moving away from liner and towards shadow instead was a revaluation and has actually made makeup application faster as it's just so much more forgiving.

But this is just what I do based on my eye shape and colour. It would be completely different if I had eyes where you could see my upper eyelid when my eye is open! Best thing I ever did was work out what kind of eyes I had then watch YouTube tutorials designed specifically for that type of eye.

13. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I found my spots improved with he niacinamide (or whatever it's called) and I said it earlier on but you might have missed it, but metanium, the nappy rash cream, is brilliant for healing up spots fast I find (and is seriously yellow so balances out redness under makeup). Only word of warning is that it's thick as tar so literally a small smear on your finger, not even enough to class as a blob or drop, is more than enough! I just open the top and touch the opening and that's it! Don't squeeze the tube!

slingshotsally likes this.
  14. slingshotsally

I had a rash of eruptions, extremely painful, red for months. It was way more than one spot.

If I had one or two spots at a time, I would be in agreement with you.

Unfortunately, this wasn't/isn't the case.

15. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

I love pedicures ( but tend to do my own nails - keep it simple but spend ages deliberating over the colour of the polish ! )
    Just bought some It Your Skin but Even Better CC from Selfridges. Marvellous.

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I have hooded lids so just use loads of mascara as liner gets lost. Plus I have the most sensitive eyes ever. Nothing goes near the waterline. Nothing.

I will use eyeshadow on the lower lid. But a fine brush is essential.

I am more of a lip-person as I obey the " strong lips or strong eyes but not both" rule.