1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Beauty Room

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pickles124, Aug 29, 2017.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Sounds like a mental health issue being so controlling.

slingshotsally likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Zizzy

That is amazing about your dad. I would say, however, he was the exception to the rule. Similar to the people who smoke 2 packets of cigarettes a day and drink like fish but live to be 120.

3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Great genes.

Rare to have such a great collection!

pepper5 likes this.
  4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I too have seen this but wonder if they actually continue the whole of the rest of their lives since other elderly people I know change "taste" as they age and their ability to cope with certain foods also changes... not just through loss of teeth but through an alleged inability to digest things in the same way. Although I guess everyone is different aren't they, but would be interested if they were doing that for 20, 30 40 or all 70 or 80 years as it really would fly in the face of science and research if they did.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

The NAB's and I were "natural" for about 5 years,normal for them, it was once they started going to other children's birthday parties when things got interesting, I just had to wait to peel them off the ceiling when they got home as although most of the other families were also "natural", they did send them home with the dreaded party bag just after cutting the cake... well I can tell you there were some fun times as they would throw up on the way down/home then fall asleep. I gradually weened them onto a more normal diet although wherever possible homemade/homegrown although it hasn't always been possible and they are all fine although they now make their own food choices one goes for healthy all the time and the others fluctuate.

I am a firm believer in porridge and 3 fruit and 2- 5 veg a day though, since all the 90+ year olds I know (and there are a few) eat these things as a matter of course.

emerald52, pepper5 and slingshotsally like this.
  6. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Yes. He did smoke a lot too!

pepper5 likes this.
  7. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I think this inability does exist. I used to be able to eat anything but now I find my stomach gets v irritated by brassicas.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Oh...good news for me...I eat porridge every day and also 3 fruits and 5 vegetables. In the past year we have been eating a lot of kale which is super healthy and put it in soups and smoothies.

9. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

My eyebrows are going grey, help

pepper5 likes this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi delmamerchant

If I were you and your eyebrows are bothering you, I would go to a professional beauty therapist to have them dyed your natural brow colour. It probably isn't that expensive and it would be a treat for you to make you feel better.

11. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

On a separate note, if anyone uses Bio Oil it is on offer at Superdrug half price. Not all sizes - just the 125 ml and is on offer for approximately £7.00 ( that is the sale price). It is a real bargain since it lasts for ages since you only use a small amount.

12. slingshotsally

I just thought I'd let you know.

Your recommendation of The Ordinary has been very good. The acne has gone down, no inflammation and actually scarring has reduced almost everywhere except on very dark patch.

Overall, my skin has NEVER looked or felt better, even the little worry line between my eye brows has almost disappeared. I can't say it's taken me back to my youth (it was acne ridden hell), but I can say I look at least 5 years younger in terms of skin tone, and fresh faced and clean even without make up.

With make up, the skin is looks much smoother, pores are much smaller.

I really appreciate your advice and thank you for posting the recommendation. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Having nice skin is really uplifting.

Orkrider2, 7eleven and grumpydogwoman like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The worry line! Maybe time for me to try The Ordinary.

Thanks!

14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

I am so happy that it's worked for you! It's great when you get something that really works. Which one did you buy again?
    I've just done a restock of my stuff from there because I love it so much. I've also bought their anti oxidant,EUK 134. Snappy names... Have had it since Tuesday but It seems to be fine. Will report back!

15. grumpydogwoman

IMG_20171110_125607778.jpg

Been ages since I posted my nails. Had these done yesterday.

7eleven and slingshotsally like this.
  16. slingshotsally

Apologies to other posters who might be reading this, it goes on a bit.

1. Sensitive skin Peel (wash off) Lactic Acid 5% & HA 2%
    2. Niacinamide 10% + zinc 1%
    3. Rose hip oil
    4. The Ordinary Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F 30ml

I thought I'd better slap it all on, but started with sensitive skin peel.

I got some glycolic acid (weakest formulation) as well. That was just on the deep strong scarring (I used this with extreme caution, but it was effective as the skin sloughed away the next morning).

After never bothering (ever) with sun block, I got factor 15 moisturiser. This coupled with the above regimen reduced the over all irregular pigmentation between the acne scarring and the rest of the skin. It did take a while, the effects didn't happen over night.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  17. grumpydogwoman

Have just ordered 4 things from The Ordinary. Spent over £25 to get free P and P. But the website says they're inundated with orders so it could take a while to get the stuff.

18. slingshotsally

Those must have taken ages.

They look a bit pagen, too.

19. grumpydogwoman

My nail tech does it. About an hour but that includes soaking off the old mani. And, being gel polish, they are bone-dry when I leave. Plus we have a chin-wag and they can last 3 weeks. So it's win-win.

minnie me and slingshotsally like this.
  20. slingshotsally

@grumpydogwoman

I'm embarrassed to say I have never had a manicure by a professional and do not have a clue as to what a gel polish might be. However, the nail tech has done a great job.

I'm googling gel polish now.