1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Beauty Room

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pickles124, Aug 29, 2017.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

@InkyP the Vitapoint is lovely, but I've only seen small tubes. Very handy- I end up with Magaret Thatcher helmet hair if I don't apply product.

needabreak and pickles124 like this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

One of the best beauty steals is the Boots own brand eyemake remover in the blue packaging. You can get 3 bottles for £3.00 in their three for two offer and the product is amazing. It takes off eye makeup easily.

Another product I think is amazing is Aldo's own brand facial cleansing cloths with vitamin E and Vitamin B5. The wipes actually do take off all traces of makeup so you don't need to use a second product to get it all off. They onlyncost 59 pence for 25. Truly a beauty steal.

InkyP and slingshotsally like this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Almond oil. Body, hair. The lot.

The main thing is sunscreen. All year round. I really do swear by Elizabeth Arden. Also Eucerin.

But the best thing you can do is avoid a lot of skin damage in the first place. Pro tennis players have terrible skin. All that sun. Sunscreen always.

pepper5 and needabreak like this.
  4. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Hey up!! I need some of this stuff too. Do you know where i could get some. My hairs going a bit straw like with the weather.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. slingshotsally

needabreak and pickles124 like this.
  6. pickles124

Yeah I've seen this too!! At first i was like 'wow is this even real?!'. I'm kind of worried that it will feel like im putting paint on my face like emulsion!!

A bit like this:

2017-09-25-22-26-56-.jpg

pepper5 likes this.
  7. pickles124

2017-09-25-22-27-56-.jpg

The latest fashion trend seems to be two tone lips, as demostrated here.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. slingshotsally

Not doing it!

It's as though they've eaten something, the remains are still on their lips and they haven't bothered to wipe their mouths.

If I wanted to see that, I'd be watching my four year old go around with food stains on his mouth after a snack.

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

@grumpydogwoman I absolutely agree. Sunscreen is the most important thing and it doesn't have to be expensive - Aldi sunscreen has been tested and proved to be one of the best. No expensive face cream can reverse the effects of sun damage.

slingshotsally and pepper5 like this.
  10. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Smoking and eating too much sugar is also not good for your skin.

InkyP, emerald52 and slingshotsally like this.
  11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Smoking! You can always spot a smoker!

Don't do it.

(And I did smoke when I was early 20s so I do know it's perfectly possible to stop.)

pepper5, InkyP and emerald52 like this.
  12. slingshotsally

Sorry to digress- has anyone done a sugar detox?

My SiL is very strict with her children- she doesn't let them eat pasta, rice or potatoes.

She's even got them eating quinoa. But she did this from birth: No desserts, Christmas cake, birthday cake, sweets, puddings, chocolates and even dried fruits are limited.

I'd like to try the sugar detox for myself and gradually wean to boys of the sweet stuff. Has anyone tried it?

needabreak and pepper5 like this.
  13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This seems unnecessarily strict and joyless - are her children positively glowing with health? I try to limit added sugar but even fresh fruit contains sugars.

14. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

How did we survive for all those years with bread, potato and pasta? I saw a really interesting poster with advice for people surviving on wartime rationing. The only fake food on the list was margarine. Bread, potato, porridge, butter, suet, lard, eggs, meat etc. I suppose people then were less sedentary and ate smaller portions. Interesting.

needabreak, emerald52, InkyP and 3 others like this.
  15. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Potato Pete and Dr Carrot were our heartthrobs in those days!:D

emerald52 likes this.
  16. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Just try to reduce the amount of sugar by not adding it to hot drinks and if you do use it in cooking, reduce the quantity if it won't affect the product. For example, if you make a banana bread, use grated apple instead of sugar. The apples have sugar and will provide sweetness as will the bananas.

InkyP likes this.
  17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Your SIL's children are going to binge eat sweets and and chocs when they discover their existence! What happens when they eat out? Do friends find them odd?

Poor little beggars.

pepper5, InkyP and zizzyballoon like this.
  18. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

My father put so much sugar in his tea that the spoon stood up in it. He also took a dessert spoonful of sugar and ate it every time he passed the sugar basin. He was tall and slim all his life and had all his own teeth when he died at 80.

19. slingshotsally

They have a "translucent" quality about them- very pale, Strawberry blond/e, blue-eyed, ethereal.

The parents are both red-heads, so I feel as though I have to resist the idea they might be anaemic and sneak some extra food to them.

She takes Tupperware with their food- the cafes, restaurants, birthday parties and even to family Christmas dinners.

I've asked if they have allergies- she says not.

I think the friends just accept the food thing.

They are NOT poor - both were born at the Portland.

pepper5 and emerald52 like this.
  20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'm a red head and, although my skin is pale, I'm not ethereal. I think I look healthy.

This sounds like an awful, punitive and, dare I say it attention seeking, lifestyle and, like Dunty said, I think they will rebel. Other people must find them a real pain.