1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Beauty Room

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pickles124, Aug 29, 2017.

1. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Well hello there beautiful people!

I thought it was time to create a little magical corner devoted to all things to do with Beauty (Hair care, Makeup, Fragrance). Gentleman are more than welcome here too. If your in a 'pickle' and don't know where to turn, this thread will help to solve all your beauty problems. Or near enough. Lol.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Senior commenter

I think there's already enough guidance on eyebrows so that area will be fine.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

My problem is that I'm not (and never have been) beautiful.
    Any advice welcome.

4. pickles124

This is a general beauty forum thread open to everything. That's the purpose behind it.

5. pickles124

Remember. To be beautiful is to be beautiful of mind, body and soul. Society is too much transfixed with the outer physical appearance. It's no wonder that women and men are under so much pressure to look the right way.

emerald52, 576, peggylu and 1 other person like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

But back end of a bus???

OK.

Minimum is foundation (powdery), mascara and lippie. I do need eyebrows too. What else is quick but effective?

7. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

I am a skin care / make up tart . I would say that the face (a bit like a wall for painting and decorating ) benefits enormously from decent ' prep ' and then the ' coverage ' looks so much better so to this end a Clarisonic / equivalent cleansing brush and a ' diy ' gentle peel . I like and rate Lancer and Révive but they are pricey and am sure others on the market also v good

8. grumpydogwoman

I really like Maybelline Baby Skin as primer.

pepper5 and vannie like this.
  9. Ellakits

Ellakits Occasional commenter

Estée Lauder is reputed to ave said that there is no such thing as ugly wome, only lazy ones.

I used to think that she mean just pile on the slap, but it's a pretty ambiguous statement and over the years I've come to the conclusion that she meant (or at least I'll interpret it as being) that all women have great potential, and all women have great pitfalls. Confidence is the main one - have it and you look great, lack it and you look pitiful.

I had a student job working in retail in a department store and sometimes ended up in the hat department. Never has an area of women's clothing been wrought with more pitfalls. I saw beautiful women completely cowed by headwear - you should wear a hat, it should not wear you. Equally, I saw 'normal' looking women turn heads in the department for all the right reasons even though the hat wasn't outstanding. The fact it made them feel great shone through and that's real beauty.

10. pickles124

Clear eyebrow/eyelash gel if you are in a rush and a good eyeliner in a silvery/lilac colour to brighten the eyes underneath.

BB face cream is good if your in a rush.

11. pickles124

What foundation or face powder minerals are people using here. I find that liquid foundation is a double edged sword which causes more blemishes.

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

currently on Kat von D, which is very good. The Ordinary has very good foundations too - no perfume or extra gunk. Armani Silk, Maybelline Dream Mousse, Illamasqua Skin Base all brilliant.

13. grumpydogwoman

My go-to foundation is Estee Lauder Double Wear. Powder is always Max Factor Creme Puff.

I like a VERY matte skin. My skin is pretty good but I want flat matte.

This is not me btw. But absolutely no shine. No dewy.

maxresdefault-6.jpg

pickles124 likes this.
  14. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

I like lightly reflective. Matte makes me look like the mortician's just finished with me.

15. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

Another vote for Maybelline Baby Skin. I use a tiny bit of foundation then a loose powder. I like benefit blusher. For skincare I usually go for Olay Regenerist but only when it's on offer. At the moment I'm on Boots Lift and Luminate serum, eye cream and moisturiser. It's nice stuff and it was 3 for 2. @Ellakits 'no ugly women, just lazy ones' sounds like your regulation mysoginist bullsh1t to me.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

17. grumpydogwoman

18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

a bb or cc cream is usually enough for me.
    Bare minerals do a really nice cc complexion rescue cream. With a bit of setting powder over the top my skin looks flawless (which is no mean feat).
    For every day wear, I go with rimmel bb cream because it's easy to slap on and I don't feel like I'm wasting an expensive product just to go mooch round the shops or pick the kids up from school.

19. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Indeed. Confidence is 99% of looking great. My pulling technique is used to be just act like the object of my desire fancied me until he forgot that he didn't. :)

peggylu and Ellakits like this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

13217611_1683053681960628_7610520489088371215_o.jpg

A smile is more important than cosmetics.

You can have enough slap to stock a large branch of Superdug but, if you don't look very approachable, it still may do you no favours.

not-smiling-tess-christian-06.jpg