1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The BBC shows us the way

Discussion in 'Personal' started by artboyusa, Feb 26, 2016.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

If those who are currently in a position of leadership and management, or want to be someday, the BBC has shown us an important lesson this week.

The lesson is that, if you ever find yourself in a position where a disclosure of information which reflects badly on yourself or your organization is imminent, you have to have a disposable scapegoat to hand whom you can noisily and publicly sack so as to draw attention away from yourself and those pesky revelations.

Top managers call this 'The Blackburn Feint'.

What you do is, at the correct moment, the eve of publication, say, you throw your carefully pre-selected Blackburn to the sharks and while everyone is watching him flail in the water, no one is reading or talking about that damaging report which, even if you've paid for a whitewash, could still get in the way of your knighthood and pension.

So get smart the BBC way! Look around your office. Hmmmm...who could be your Blackburn? Him? Her? Them? Ah wait, there's my Blackburn. Poptastic!

P.S. just make sure you're never someone else's Blackburn, okay?

Grassroots_Out and Vladimir like this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think there is enough blame at the BBC to go round. So many people seem to have accepted the right of the "talent" to pressure and use the young, the vulnerable and the star struck and to have not noticed or not cared that this was coercion. And we all condemn the BBC loudly ... and then look at the news just now where a footballer has groomed a young girl for sexual activity and the defence are using the same arguments Savile and his ilk used - she wanted it really, she asked for it, she boasted about having a footballer boyfriend. What's changed? What did the BBC do that is not happening now?

3. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The BBC has become a 'political puppet' and has adopted their paymasters (House of Clowns and Brussels Brigade) ways.

Grassroots_Out, Vladimir and wanet like this.
  4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I brought it up because Blackburning someone works. Its working right now; all the chatter is about some poor sap who's had his life destroyed and not about this ghastly organization that, oops! so sorry - hired, promoted and enabled a bunch of child rapers for decades and which should cease to exist in its present form.

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

It's the Brussels Broadcasting Company. Its bias and obvious lack of reporting of inconvenient facts make it nothing more than a waste if time and money. I hope it collapses. We are paying for this travesty!

Grassroots_Out likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It really isn't.
    They've dumbed down news reporting and balance to inviting on opposing guests, regardless of the substance or veracity of their views, and fail to do much real questioning, investigation or explanation but it's not bias and certainly not towards Brussels.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You must be watching different channels to me!

Grassroots_Out likes this.
  8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I knew the stuff about Saville over thirty years ago, it was an open secret. (I have no connection to the BBC, and did not hear it via that route, but via the NHS).

9. Grassroots_Out

Grassroots_Out Occasional commenter

Then it was down to YOU to report it! I can't believe you could even admit to that when you did nothing. Shame on you!

10. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/27/what-learned-savile-abuse-impunity

'I am intrigued by the continuing saga surrounding Savile, and the way the media constantly associates his vile acts with two British institutions: the NHS and the BBC (
    Savile's reign of abuse across NHS exposed, 27 June). While it seems obvious that both might have done more to prevent these crimes it seems equally surprising that questions are not being asked about two other institutions Savile had relationships with: the royal family and the Conservative party. His close relations with Prince Charles are well documented and if I'm not mistaken he spent 11 New Year's Eves with Margaret Thatcher, not forgetting Ken Clarke's generous gift of the keys to Broadmoor. With the levels of surveillance the state is capable of, are we to believe that somebody with the access Savile enjoyed had not been investigated by the intelligence services. Should I be more frightened of the ineptitude or the complicity of these organisations?
    Matt Scott
    Falmouth, Cornwall'

Hear, hear!!

Didn't Edwina Curry rubber stamp his 'managerial role' within Broadmoor, after he was appointed by a senior civil servant?
    Why aren't the media shouting about that? Can't have anything to do with diverting attention from the tories & royalty or softening up public approval for the sale of the NHS & BBC...?

lexus300 likes this.