1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The battle of marathon

Discussion in 'Primary' started by a blackwell, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hi I am just about to sit down and plan a fun and exciting lesson around th battle of marathon.
    I was wondering if any kind person had already done it - or has any resources suitable for a mixed ability y6 class levlels 2c to level 5a

I would be willing to send a copy of any planning and resources I make

thanks

2. Hi I am just about to sit down and plan a fun and exciting lesson around th battle of marathon.
    I was wondering if any kind person had already done it - or has any resources suitable for a mixed ability y6 class levlels 2c to level 5a

I would be willing to send a copy of any planning and resources I make

thanks

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I doubt that the Battle of Marathon was much fun for anyone involved, Angela.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Especially Pheidipides - or whatever he was called!!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A drama retelling would be fun and exciting and could get all involved, lots of parts though some would be small.

You could link to literacy and tell the story to them, get them to do lots of the storytelling activities to engage with the text and then act it out/improvise.

This is a fabulous book, with lots of activities. the sample pages on the site are NOT the most exciting and make the book look rather poorly printed as well. Ignore them, there is lots in here. There is a differentiated reading comprehension about The Battle of Marathon, both text and questions at literacy level 2,3,4 or 5. Not exactly 'fun' but definitely useful.

http://www.topical-resources.co.uk/ancient_greece

6. this battle idea is great the class is very mixed and the g@t group in here would really enjoy this
    thank you

The battle thou not historically accurate really does cover alot and with the different recounts gives opportunity for some real debate and battles always go down well with the kids

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You've also got Thermopylae as well - a great opportunity to compare Sparta and Athens. Plus the legend of the 300. Defending a pass against overwhelming odds till they got betrayed.

8. pooped

pooped New commenter

Hi,
    We did drama and then linked to Literacy and wrote newspaper reports. I can send you an example that I used if you like.

9. that would be great if you don't mind taz19651@hotmail.co.uk