1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Banana Trick and Other Acts of Self-Checkout Thievery

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jul 8, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I can understand how that would work for supermarkets that have loyalty cards and could flag up repeated abuse of the system, but how would it work in the supermarkets that don't track their customers' shopping habits?

2. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I'm wondering what your secret is. I thought there was some checking of items by weight in the "bagging area". Evidently it doesn't work very well.

My only experience is paying too much for items that are reduced, when the old barcode gets picked up (due to it not having been labelled over). I've often gone back afterwards for a refund.

3. modelmaker

I'd be interested to learn how sensitive and accurate the bagging area scales are. It would be an amazing technical feat to produce a set of scales that could cope with a week's shopping, where some items might be multi-packed 2 litre bottles of water and others such as a box of asprins, which will weigh barely a few grams.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I wasn't aware that any supermarkets allowed the use of scanners without membership of loyalty schemes.

5. modelmaker

Asda offers hand-held scanners, but has no loyalty scheme.

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Since you need to register your scanned items are still recorded against your account.

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Emanuel S, I don't have posts numbered on my phone, but last page explains.
    Nomad, how do they check to whom the disparities are allocated?

8. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

In Asda, you initially register with your details, and then subsequently use your mobile phone number to log into the system to get the hand scanner. Any disparities will then be logged onto your details.

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Oooo. They don't do that at Sainsbury's!
    Edit - though if they're using your Nectar card, prob they do. My phone number's changed since i took that card out though. And how do they know? If I ping fresh air whilst tucking a bottle of gin in the bottle of my bag - or just not ping at all - how would they know? Tis a rhetorical question. They already didn't know to the tune of one pot of creme fraiche and one bottle of caesar salad dressing.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You haven't scanned items in Sainsbury Ballymena.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I once, a long time ago, got a complete shop rescanned at the till. Nobody was called to repack it all for me even though there was no discrepancy. Sainsbury again.

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I prefer to shop local, no more than 300 miles.

13. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

I thought this was a thread about the trick our old science teacher used to show the boys.