1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The avant-garde thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NoseyMatronType, Jun 4, 2020.

1. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

This thread was inspired by Kandahar.

Am just interested in anything or anybody that is/are considered avant-garde that posters either like or dislike for whatever reason.

2. NoseyMatronType

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Les Voyageurs bronze statues by Bruno Catalano - do they count?

Kandahar and NoseyMatronType like this.
  4. NoseyMatronType

Well, I am not being judgemental but am genuinely interested in anything that people think falls into this category and that either works or doesn’t come off.

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Av Garde
    Screenshot_20200604-172954-01.jpeg

Avante Garde
    Screenshot_20200604-173101-01.jpeg

6. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I can get that effect by putting a background on when I'm on a zoom call and then holding a piece of paper in front of me. Endless fun.

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Where would we be without dear old Gilbert and George
    [​IMG]

Whilst performance had been raging for decades madly across the pond, here in Great Britain...calm normality.

8. NoseyMatronType

That is brilliant Kandahar. Put a smile on my face.

9. NoseyMatronType

10. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Indeed. And the amazing thing is that they have continued the pretence: life as art right up into old age.
    The Bonzo dog band - bought their single 'I'm gonna bring a watermelon (to my girl tonight) - was it around 1965?

NoseyMatronType likes this.
  11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Indeed, The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band. Loved them.

12. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Blasted French... they get in everywhere, interfering with our language. :D

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm not very good with art... I mainly approach it aesthetically and I suspect my tastes remain rather safe...

But would the novel "Bug Jack Baron" by Norman Spinrad qualify? It certainly seems to fit the definition as I understand it... experimental, unacceptable, against societal norms...

And I like it...

14. Oscillatingass

The poetry of ee cummings

15. Oscillatingass

Fripp and Eno.

artboyusa and NoseyMatronType like this.
  16. NoseyMatronType

I don’t know but didn’t he write a novel about Hitler?

Just thought that it was important to get a Hitler reference into an avant-garde thread as soon as possible.

But I think he really did.

Anyway, a heartfelt non avant-garde apology to anyone that has contributed to this thread so far that I have ever slighted on here.

Kandahar likes this.
  17. NoseyMatronType

He’s been making some home videos with his Mrs recently.

I am a bit jealous because I always fancied Toyah.

artboyusa likes this.
  18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

He did... The Iron Dream.

Ursula Le Guin said about it: "We are forced, insofar as we can continue to read the book seriously, to think, not about Adolf Hitler and his historic crimes—Hitler is simply the distancing medium—but to think about ourselves: our moral assumptions, our ideas of heroism, our desires to lead or to be led, our righteous wars. What Spinrad is trying to tell us is that it is happening here."

I pilched that from Wikipedia but she was a woman of fine taste and understanding. A complex novel which was banned in Germany for 25 years.

19. NoseyMatronType

[​IMG]

There you go. I am now seriously interested in reading this.

lanokia likes this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's not got much to do with Hitler... it's more about how we craft heroic narratives... for example, Genghis Khan... by all modern standards he's an utter monster... yet he's the national hero of Mongolia and most history types have a grudging admiration for the old slaughterer.

If the Axis had won WW2, it'd be Churchill and Roosevelt [I won't include Stalin, his name is dirt to most] who'd be the villains.

So the book plays on that and goes against fantasy tropes of the brave heroic white muscular man righting wrongs across a barbaric landscape [think Conan with a tache]... nowt wrong with that trope, but when you apply it through the lens of "Hitler" it looks decidedly dodgy.

Jamvic and NoseyMatronType like this.