1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Ascension...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizzii_2008, Mar 20, 2012.

1. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I am having to do an assembly on The Ascension but surprisingly with a nursery class. Each class has been designated a particular day to reflect upon and celebrate.
    Obviously there is going to be limited speaking roles as my class cannot read so I'm hoping to get the point across through role play and song.
    I have selected a final song, which is called God is Able. There is another song I want to use and that is 'Did you know?' and we've begun learning those already.
    I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas for me?

2. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

I am having to do an assembly on The Ascension but surprisingly with a nursery class. Each class has been designated a particular day to reflect upon and celebrate.
    Obviously there is going to be limited speaking roles as my class cannot read so I'm hoping to get the point across through role play and song.
    I have selected a final song, which is called God is Able. There is another song I want to use and that is 'Did you know?' and we've begun learning those already.
    I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas for me?

3. All a bit heavy with 3 year olds! I would suggest that you tell the story and they could join in with actions and words where appropriate and if some could do art work maybe hold that up? I would make the most of the songs and use instruments etc. dress children up, if you can think of a way to do it, eg just with a simple hat to show they are with the band, choir or whatever. If they sort of know the Our Father they could say that with appropriate actions - it would sort of flesh things out. Good luck! If you google 'Our Father with actions' you should be able to find some ready made up.

The other possibility perhaps is to do some sort of topic on The Ascension and have the children show and talk about what they have done - but that would be so much easier if it was just plain old Easter.

4. There are a few Ascension Day traditions mentioned on this site which might inspire some activities or role play: http://www.faithclipart.com/guide/Christian-Holidays/ascension-day-meaning.html

5. Could they make/decorate some puppets and a background to use to act out the story? You could do it in advance in class, take photos and make a powerpoint of their work to use in the assembly? Or do the same but with the children dressed up? Hard topic!

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Absolutely no disrespect intended, but there is something hilarious about the idea of puppets and the Ascension. Is there, perhaps, a bit of Heath Robinson-style engineering which might enable the Jesus puppet to disappear through a convenient hole in the ceiling?
    On a practical note,
    seems like a good idea, and a lot less stressful than levitating a three-year-old through the roof!

On a more serious note, what *** is expecting three-year-olds to produce an assembly on the Ascension in front of [presumably] the whole school?

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh dear. !d1ot is now a banned word, apparently.

8. Had to google Heath Robinson... I think he could have helped!

I always think you need a good sense of humour for class assemblies. I rather like the idea of puppet Jesus - splodgily painted and badly cut out - wriggling his way up to heaven.

For a really good effect, you could shine a lovely bright torch down on puppet Jesus, and add some music courtesy of your own choir of angels...

Or even - I don't know if I can explain this clearly - but I used to have a little wooden doll toy who 'climbed' up two strings when you pulled them alternately. Maybe Jesus could climb his own way up into the skies....

Sadly we don't do class assemblies in our school. Tempted to ask if I can do this one now though. I'm quite enthused!

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ah, a creature after my own heart.. [​IMG]

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I am speechless!

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

When both Nutella and I are rendered speechless, you know that something must be wrong.

If I were God, I'd be laughing at the idea that three-year-olds were expected to do something so daft.