1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The art of getting organised?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by karizma1485, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hi there, I'm a current pgce primary student and right of the start of the course we were told by our uni to create a folder for all the different subjects ie english, maths, science. Therefore any recourses we found or recieved we could file into the appropriate folder. I also have a the same folders on my computer and so anything I find I just download and drop it into the appropriate folder. To be super organised you could then use file dividers to split the folders into the different areas covered with in each subject. Take a look at the national curriculum if you are unsure.

Hope that helps :)

2. Congratulations on the offer :)

Most universities have their own specific requirements for your folders, so don't go too mad before your course starts, but my best tip would be to label things very accurately - whether that is hard copy files or files on your computer. And if you are bookmarking websites, do the same.

And then get an external hard drive to back up your work!

3. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I would save any digital resources in a file indexing system (such as the default provided by windows vista onwards, or google docs) so you can search for the content for resources (such as 'comma.')

I would buy a few time management books - Steven Covey's seven habits, and Getting things Done are useful. I would carry around post-it notes or a PDA (I have a £200 PDA in my desk that is less useful than my post-it notes.) I put all my post-notes onto a mat on my desk that is divided into: do right now, calendar later, notes from meetings.

Finally, I would initially decide what needs to be done to a good standard, and what just needs to be done. Get a timer and see how long of a task you can do in 15 minutes, and decide the extent to which you want to complete that task.

Have lots of different methods of time management, don't just rely on one! Change as you feel like it, and done slavishly stick to any advice or systems - all grow stale with time and/or overuse.

4. Thanks for the response! :) that's really helpful! I'm hoping this 'homework' will help prepare me with the course! I can't imagine how stressful/ hectic the course will be!
    I hope your PGCE year is going well for you! Half way through now, all the best for the rest of the year!

5. Thanks moonstalker! I find that I'm bookmarking crazy already! Yep I agree an external hard drive is definitely going to be on my birthday request this year :)