1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Apprentice thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by CraigCarterSmith, Nov 1, 2018.

1. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

I just don't get why after changing the format from being a y'know....actual apprentice, now its business partner and investment in the company they propose, why do we never see the actual idea?

Is this just the modern world now? no substance, just believe in the person behind it no matter if you are trying to sell Chocolate teapots

why do you think we don't hear the business plans at the start?

2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

because, lets face it, no matter how televisual someone is or how many tasks they win or how brilliant they are at selling/marketing/advertising/roleplaying etc etc. if their Business plan doesn't hold up they won't (shouldn't win) and threfpre the more enterrtaining participants would be out of the selection from the start.
    Is there an inherent tension between being a great 'performer' and being a good business woman/man? Different skill sets. The tasks set are to provide entertainment * rather than to test a long term business success eg just see how often the winners of some tasks do so by getting short term gain but would have p---ed off their clents in the long term.

* this, I think is why Karrun is still there - he's set up to be good entertainment next week.
    Or he just has a brilliant Business Idea/Plan which Sugar wants to invest in. How often do Brillaint Participants fail at thesemi-final(?) Interview stage when its known that their business plans don't stack up.

Remember This is an Entertainment Programme. It isn't a job/business interview, whatever the blurb says. It's good entertainment (some think). That's all.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    CraigCarterSmith likes this.
  3. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

The one who is fired is always asked what the business plan was on You're Fired.
    I don't doubt a large part of survival depends on a plan Sugar thinks worth sinking money into.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Because it is really irrelevant to the entertainment. The purpose of the programme is to gather some pretentious and naive fools for the nation to mock and feel superior to whilst relaxing on the sofa after a hard day’s work.

Alice K and bombaysapphire like this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Works for me !

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I always loved the reference to the Apprentice made years ago by little Karen in Outnumbered:

upload_2018-11-2_7-23-23.jpeg

colpee and smoothnewt like this.
  7. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

I think they stopped having actual apprentices because one was parked in an office somewhere with a £100,000 wage doing some sort of boring office admin job and someone (much cheaper) was let go to open up the position, so everyone in the office hated her. She sued them.

The show is getting ridiculous with how scripted it is.

A lot of the communication breakdowns seem to be because they are only allowed to call each other at set times and not allowed to use text messages. You see this the most on the tasks where they need to buy 10 items, this year one team bought the same item twice because one subteam was allocated the item but the other subteam found one by coincidence and seemed unable to tell the others what they had done.

There's also the using phone books to find buisnesses, always having to have two subteams (more would make sense) and not being allowed to google things too. It's all designed to create filmable moments and reduce the amount of film crews and footage they need to edit.

Then there's the tasks where they have to sell prototype products to buisnesses, even major supermarkets sometimes. The orders seem to be fake, has anyone ever seen one of these shoddy items in a shop? Contestants who ask nicely for silly large orders actually get them sometimes.

I still enjoy the show but it was really diminished for me once I realised these things.

colpee and CraigCarterSmith like this.
  8. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

I hadn't caught up this weeks

Quick Question: Are the people who show up to the mixers to make fictional purchases given a limit and told they need to buy?

there was a buyer who was adamant to one team member that he wasn't buying those monstrosity candy trainers and then in a montage he was signing a deal for 2000 pairs?

would be fascinating to see the ins and outs i think