1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The apostrophe

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dozymare1957, May 5, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Is it OK to ignore the incorrect use of the apostrophe?

2. dozymare1957

Is it OK to ignore the incorrect use of the apostrophe?

3. It all depend's on you're point of view.

4. No, it's not.

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Depends on the circumstances.
    If you are teaching, then no, it's not.
    If you buying vegetables, walking past a printed sign, reading something written by another adult or working in an establishment with a name that ought to have an apostrophe, yet doesn't, then you have to let it go.

6. dozymare1957

Thanks for the clarification Giraffe.
    Just to be sure, is it OK for teachers on TES forums to misuse apostrophe or not? LOL

7. No its not but then again maybe it look's silly without.

8. One of our Y1s has started using apostrophe t as in wen't.

9. I only learned to use the apostrophe in later life, and still get it wrong sometimes[​IMG].
    I don't remember being taught this kind of thing when I was at primary school in the mid 70s. I think we were just supposed to pick it up along the way. Happily, my daughter's teacher is fanatical about the correct use of punctuation and has managed to pass this on to my daughter. At the tender age of 11, she is turning into a fully paid up member of the spelling police.
    I seem to have become the spelling and grammar person in our department as everyone else finds the correct use of the apostrophe a bit of a challenge.
    Do other languages use the apostrophe in the same way, or is it just a pecularity of the English language?

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

sometimes it is difficult to know what is right.
    [​IMG]

11. lurk_much

hmm the photo got cut off

the right hand side has it as St. James' Park

12. lurk_much

13. There's a church near us that proudly advertised itself as St. Jame's.

14. Not really. In the case above, the rule is that if you can say a word like "James's" - without it sounding overly clumsy - then you don't have to lob off the final s.

15. Sorry - didn't see the second photo.
    Oops.

16. lurk_much

in the case above I was really commenting on confusing signs not helping.
    [​IMG]

17. lurk_much

oops it took me too long to downsize the original..

18. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

It used to be that if the word ended in S, then there wouldn't be a need for a second S. But I think this has changed over the years.
    e.g. Banks's beer used to be just Banks' beer when I was a kid.

19. Oh lurk - maybe it was all the apostrophe kerfuffle that made Mike Ashley rechristen the Newcastle United stadium the Sports Direct Arena?

20. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Me too. I only honestly only learned how to use apostrophes, elipses and semicolons when I started teaching English last year! :-0