1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The annual heating challenge!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Oct 3, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

So..who has held off turning that 'ON' button of their central heating? so far this Autumn/Indian Summer
    PS- a few 'rules'

1. You ARE allowed to warm up in a heated bath.

2. You CAN turn on the cooker but only to cook food.

3. You CAN wear as many layers as you like.

4. You CAN use up to 2 hot water bottles per person at any one time. (3+ is cheating.)

5. No fires

6. No electric heaters

7. And definitely no central heating!

8. Only UK contestants (no prize for the winner either but stingy pride!) No heating in Gibraltar don't cut it!

I have lasted so far............

cissy3, smoothnewt and kibosh like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Still going here. Didn't realise it was a contest but going strong.

3. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Other posters have 'contestised' it in previous years!

lanokia likes this.
  4. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

So have I. I don't think I've had the heating on since February. Mind you, it's practically useless, anyway - the radiators in the main rooms and hall are always cold no matter how high I set them (system needing flushed).

5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Did have a shower an hour or so ago.....and am snuggled in the warmest dressing gown (not a good look)
    and I haven't put the heating on yet

BUT

I have succumbed and put the gas fire on tonight.......

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well after the gas bill last winter I am very happy to play a contest.

My wife on the other hand...

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I lit the woodburner about an hour ago, it is lovely and toasty now, I don't care if I've lost.

needabreak likes this.
  8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm going to give this the same answer as in previous years! I will put the heating when I feel the need for it and I don't care what time of the year it is. If I'm cold, it's on.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Funnily enough I put ours back on for the first time since Easter tonight, but in my defence the thermostat is only set to 19 and it's programmed to be off most of the time, including overnight.

..and I work from home now, and not in some tax payer subsidised overheated classroom :)

kibosh likes this.
  10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I must admit we haven't put on the heating yet. On the other hand down south, as I always realise when I visit up north, is distinctly a couple of degrees milder. If it were left up to my husband we wouldn't ever put it on, he wears shorts all year round, even when shovelling snow on the rare occasion we experience such!
    However I do confess to 'warming up with a warm bath on a couple of cooler days last month and I'm currently into layers and will have to start wearing tights next week for school. (I have a propensity to ladder a pair almost every time I wear them, so avoid doing so until I absolutely have to to avoid expense.;) When it gets really cold I move into the 'thick 60 deniers!

11. Lara mfl 05

The only thing is if you start burning the log store now you might run out if we do have a long, cold winter! And yes I know chopping it you get warm twicea ;) as my husband always says!

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I still have the fan on in the bedroom...

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I'm UpNorth and we have had to relent many mornings and evenings recently . . . we both loathe doing it (relenting, that is :)), but sitting in 15C (and that's the warmest room) all evening is not great . . . just out of interest are we being rather 'soft'? Is 15 C a reasonable room temp for other folk?

14. anotherauntsally

Blimey, I'm still in short sleeves. It must be warmer up here just now - for a change.

15. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Not that cold here yet - socks n woolly enough for sofa time but I nearly always have a hot bottle for bed as I have insanely cold feet most of the time.

16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Most people have central heating set about 20C IME. 15 is cold if you're just sitting. How far UpNorth are you?
    I've had the woodburner on most evening for about a month now. It sometimes gets too hot but the fire cheers me up when its dreary.

17. anotherauntsally

I can't be bothered going into the kitchen to look but last time I did, it was 17C. I remember being at work when there was snow outside, the heating had broken and it was 16C - we were all frozen and miserable and sitting with our coats on, yet that temperature doesn't have the same effect on me in the house at this time of year - odd.

18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Nah - these days we turn it on for an hour in the morning and then I had it in for an hour from about 6.00 It feels OK now. We've used the new non-draughty fire a few times and it is wonderful. And the throws are sitting over the arms of the settees just for show. It's a luxury yes, but we can afford it at the moment so we enjoy it.
    I really like it to be 24 but I think it's about 21 tonight and that's fine.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Strathclyde, Flere. I feel all nostalgic now . . .I'd love a wood-burner. We did have one in a previous property (local to here) and we got used to sitting in a regular 27C whilst the rest of the house was getting heated nicely. It was shock moving to this house . . . it's taken us ages to adapt our thermostats to accept 18C as 'warm enough'.

20. Lara mfl 05

I think 15C- 18C is OK, though we don't have a heating control (system pre- those days), but that's what Mum's was set at. Mind you at the in-laws it's like a sauna! M-i-L has the gas fire on, long johns, two jumpers and one of those blanket dressing gowns over in the summer!. She is 95 and wheelchair bound and only weighs about 7 stone so she does feel the cold, but I change into a tee shirt before I go over there and I get over-heated in half an hour!