1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The allotment thread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by deleted361, May 15, 2009.

1. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

They were planted in early April (remember our growing season up here in Scotland is a bit behind yours). Will have a poke about later and see if there's anything in there...

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

So, how are the potatoes? This rotten weather - my squash and courgette are going mouldy and my tomatoes are either rock hard and green or still at the flower stage.

3. Si N. Tiffick

(feeling sheepish) I haven't been out to dig them up as it's been raining non stop here. Have to admit to being very much a fair weather farmer! Will definitely investigate soon and get back to you. My fine green beans look like they're coming on well though. I live in hope!

4. I went to dig a few plants up the other afternoon when it was tipping it down. I got completely caked in mud but really rather enjoyed myself. Wish the sun would pop out for a few hours though so I can try to treat my new plot before the weeds get too out of control again...

5. Si N. Tiffick

Weeeellll! I have great news to report. I finally got round to investigating what was under my yellowed, dead potato plants (which had never flowered) and there were tons of potatoes after all! Mmm-mm. Had some of the little teeny ones steamed with butter as soon as we got them into the kitchen just for the sheer piggery of it. And there are many more bags to go- hooray!

6. PlymouthMaid

That's fantastic news! Our spuds were rather pitiful but did taste nice. Thrill of the week was harvesting my first ever corn on the cob.

7. Si N. Tiffick

Corn on the cob! Wow! I can't imagine the Scottish climate lending itself to corn, so I'll just have to remain in awe of yours.

8. The joy of digging up potatoes! It's wonderful isn't it?
    We've eaten mountains and its astonishing the amount of money I've saved. Even with the tiny amount that I've grown this year - and the slightly larger amount that have been donated by nice old blokes on the allotment who feel sorry for me - the shopping bill seems to have come right down.
    And, of course, allotment veg tastes divine...

9. PlymouthMaid

Still getting tons of runner beans and plenty of courgettes. Onion crop is home and dry. Big tomato tragedy however!!! Struck down by blight so all my lovely plum tomato plants which were just about to think of ripening have had to be pulled up. Need to burn them really but it is too wet today. The allotment actually looks really untidy at the moment but still a lot going on.

10. Oh poo!
    The enormous crop of greengaes and plums have been destroyed. Utterly utterly destoyed!
    The last week of rain and hot hot heat split them and the flies and wasps got in. I now have 2 trees that have nsaty shrivelled black lumps hanging from them and some incredibly p iised wasps flying around.

HOLLYHOCKS!

But my toms look great! And we have cob nuts that the mice and squirrels haven't got to - yet!

11. Hello all,

I have decided to start a vegetable garden in my back garden and was hoping that all you wonderful people could give me some advice.

I am just a bit overwhelmed with information. I have planted some herbs in containers and am just wondering what to do next. I think I am a bit early for planting but I was hoping for some suggestions as to what a novice like me should start with and if I was to get a mini greenhouse what I can grow in this (i was thinking tomatoes, peppers, beetroot, salad leaves).

Thank you all for your help

Caramellow

12. Si N. Tiffick

I am a complete novice (as in COMPLETE). Last year I grew potatoes and dwarf peas in bags. They were very successful. This year, encouraged by last year's success, I grew several different varieties of potato, plus peas, fine beans, spring onions and salad leaves, all in bags or containers as the soil in my garden is very poor. All have done well, although I had to replant the beans after a frost in May ( this is Scotland!) killed my seedlings. I grew the salad inside on my windowsill as the slugs are viscious. There's a great book by Titchmarsh- The Kitchen Gardener, which is aimed at beginners and gives you all the info you need without being longwinded.
    Best of luck!

13. Thanks Si N. Tiffick, its good to know it shouldn't be to diificult. I think I shall get the Alan Titchmarsh book and have a look.

I was planning on a mini greenhouse for things like salad as my kitchen windowsill doesn't get any sun until late afternoon so things tend to die quite quickly.

14. PlymouthMaid

It is getting a little late for most things to be started now but you can still plant spinach, spring cabbage, salad leaves, turnips, pak choi, swiss chard and prob other stuff too. In the autumn/winter you can start garlic, onion sets and broad beans.

15. Si N. Tiffick

I think there are types of potato that you can set off about now to be ready for Xmas? Of course, that's based on the Scottish growing season which is a month or two behind the South of England. Ask at your garden centre- there'll be someone who can advise.
    Best of luck
    x

16. Si N. Tiffick

Oh- and here's something to make you laugh- I bought one of those mini greenhouse things in the Spring. It blew away in a gale! My advice is to tether it tightly!

17. PlymouthMaid

I have bricks in the bottom part of mine although I don't think it could blow far anyway in my tiny yard.

18. Thank you Plymouth Maid and Si N Tiffick, your advice is greatly appreciated. I have ordered the kitchen gardener so hopefully will be on the way to getting the garden ready soon.

Re the mini greenhouse, I like the tip about bricks [​IMG], and tying it down, especially as yesterday it was so windy down here that our gas barbeque (with attached gas cannister) blew over!!

19. Si N. Tiffick

I'm guessing your weather might not be as extreme as it is here, but better safe than sorry! Mine completely took off...and I'd only had it a couple of weeks. I keep meaning to get a replacement but haven't got round to it yet. I hope the book is helpful- I like it because it's clear and concise and gives info on how hard things are to grow, when to plant and harvest and problems to look out for.

20. Oooooooo an allotment thread hehe!
    We have had a plot for 3 years, although grew veg in the garden before then.

We have got pounds and pounds of bramley apples to use at the moment...
    Am also growing giant pumpkins and I estimated (after measuring them) to be 80lbs already. Not really for eating though.
    I do grow a pumpkin called "microwave pumpkin" which was from T&M, which is lovely and tastes alot like sweet potato.