1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The allotment thread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by deleted361, May 15, 2009.

1. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Will have a think - you can still start off things like brocolli I think and it wont be long before you start to put in the autumn crops like broad bean to overwinter. For quick results you can sow some radishes and spring onion and I think if you are quick you can go for chard and spinach. maybe pick up some veg plants just to stop you being to despondent (and hungry!).

2. Yes, I'm just starting off my purple sprouting broccoli and I have just sown another batch of spinach and beetroots. However, your best bet is to concentrate on getting that rabbit-proof fence up!

3. Thanks. Broccoli and spinach it is then. Will spend tomorrow down the plot and make sure to surround it all with barbed wire!

4. I'll take another look in the yearbook but I think this is your last shot at peas too!
    I'll pop back in in the morning - the diary is in the greenhouse!

5. Thanks, Pobble. I went for the broccoli and cabbage. Picked up some sunflowers too so at least it appears that something is growing - must invest in one of those yearbooks too. I've spent a small fortune setting up so far but hopefully it'll pay for itself after, say, 35 years! [​IMG]

6. You can still plant out tomatoes and cucumbers (you can still even plant cucumbers from seed).
    And you can sow beetroot all year round.

7. Don't forget the watch towers... actually that could work - top each one with a kestrel nesting box. Hmmm...(starts thinking what spare wood there is in the shed)

8. Despite my best efforts the blasted things have burrowed under and eaten another 10. I'm surprised they have the energy to move after all they've gobbled up. Any suggestions gratefully received?...We're not supposed to put 'proper' fences up.
    [​IMG]

9. PlymouthMaid

Too hot down there today so i only stayed long enough to pick things - got a bag of broad beans, 3 beetroots of a decent size, 2 onions, 5 pea pods (our best pick yet!) and a lettuce.

10. How is everyone getting on? All this rain/sun has been wonderful for my plot.

11. PlymouthMaid

Some good stuff going on down there - sweetcorn filling up nicely, bringing home runner beans,, beets, onions, courgettes regularly. Potatoes pretty rubbish and not worth the effort or expense. Pigeons a major pest, brassicas look awful despite being netted. Seeds don't germinate well down there so next year will have to start everything at home as that has been an expensive lesson - lost carrots, swiss chard, spring onions and leeks to non germination. Lost radishes and turnip seedlings to flea beetle. Raspberries are exciting and am planning on gaining some canes when I prune. Strawberries, didnt get many but loads of runners for next year now. Do love being there tho.

12. Well....

Brassicas:
    Cabbages: 1 down, 2 in the freezer (remaining stumps crossed and already re-growing)
    Caulis: Looking sad, might be able to salvage them.
    Khol rabi: how the hell should I know.... they are there, but I haven't the foggiest what to do with them
    Beans
    Looking a bit sad but I have about 2 kgs in the freezer
    The peas I bought to replace those the bunnies got have turned out to be more beans!!! Eeeek!
    Onions
    We have 'soft nose' or onion rot. So we have watched like hawks and picked the lot before it could spread.
    I spent yesterday chopping, blanching and freezing a whole crop of onions. Happily the leeks are immune!

All of the veggies have done much better this year. Climber really went to town with netting :D

Fruits
    Alpines and normal strawberries haven't fruited much, next year they should be fine and I'm taking a few runners to get started.
    Pears: the old tree is covered this year. Sad that they are just not edible, but the Perry man likes them.
    Apples: the family tree has quite a good crop and the Jacket and Petticoat is doing well.
    Plums and greengages: HELP!!!!! We only just got rid of the last lot!
    Greenhouse
    Toms just starting to go red.
    Peppers swelling nicely.
    Chillies, madly prolific!
    Herbs/Salad stuff
    OMG!
    Borage and other edible flowers went mad :D
    Finally got a basil to survive.
    3rd set of cut and come again lettuce is just coming in
    Chives - well we had Mexican last week, so they need a bit of time to recover!
    Mint needs to be marmalised
    Sage looks great!

I just need to get a new flower bed cut so I can get everything out properly. I am using one of the veg beds as a nursery bed for Perennials at the moment!
    And I am bored waiting for the tomatoes. I want to use the greenhouse again!!!

13. PlymouthMaid

Wow you do have a lot going on. We are now awash with runner beans. No space in freezer either :(

14. No runner beans yet but courgettes and squash doing very well with the rain.
    Freezer so full that I need to house extra in a neighbours!
    But I do have fruits (look like tomatoes) on one of my potato plants. Weird. Googled it and found out they're poisonous. Oh well.
    Ive had sooooo many redcurrants and black currants that I hope the extra vit C will see me through the autumn months.
    this is the first time Ive seen the allotment thread...so excited.

15. [​IMG]
    It's great! I only have 4 small raised beds, 1m x 3m each, in the garden (the soil is very heavy clay). So I have to be careful about what I grow. This is my 3rd year and so far the most succesful.
    I got a greenhouse as a birthday, wedding anniversary, Christmas present 2 years ago and it was the best pressie ever - but I do feel denied and resentful when it is full of toms, chillies and peppers and I can't get in and potter! [​IMG]
    I too have squillions of runners (even more to come due to the pea mistake) and am looking at about 5kgs of beans in the freezer eventually, to go with the tons of frozen onions. That's why we got the second freezer..... they sit in the shed and get fuller and fuller...... soon it'll be tomato sauce and chillie paste and possibly pepper strips. Then more cabbage and some cauliflower.
    Happily I read that a family of 4 only really needs 4 - 6 cabbage and cauli each year, so I only planted 4 of each. Next year I'll use the minis so I can get more odd stuff in the beds - like the Florence fennel that Climber likes so much!

I thought this gardening stuff was going to be sooooooooooooo hard, but it has turned out to be quite easy once you get the essentials sorted - rabbit/butterfly netting and a decent hoe!
    I'd recommend it to anyone. Even my sister has taken to container veggie gardening on her tiny patio garden.
    And when I get my flower bed cut.............[​IMG]

16. PlymouthMaid

That is very impressive then Pobble as it read as though you have quite the country estate lol.

17. You should see the number of books I had to read to get ANYTHING to grow, PlymouthMaid.... it's really quite easy, claim most of the books. So why, I ask, has taken me forever to get the hang of it?
    But I found a couple of women writers and was so relieved to find ways of doing all that digging and preparing without needing to be Arnie's little sister! I'm hoping that next year I'll make better use of all of the beds and grow even more variety (and far fewer beans :D). Hurray for Joy Larkcom!

On the downside, this morning I found the khol rabi again. It looks quite good, but I still have no idea what to do with it, so it can just sit there and wait! I wonder what made me buy the seeds in the first place? Mmmmm!

18. That rings a bell - my arms are developing 'allotment muscle!' You sound like your having lots of allotment success though. I've had too many disasters to count this year but was overjoyed that at least I've got enough potatoes to feed the whole street until next spring!
    I'm heading to amazon to invest in a Joy Larcom...

19. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Can anyone please advise me about my ailing potatoes? I am a complete novice gardener and have been growing a number of different varieties of potatoes in potato bags in my garden (the soil is rubbish here). They all looked really healthy until a couple of weeks ago, when the leaved started yellowing and the plants seem to be wilting in an alarming fashion. They haven't flowered yet so I am loathe to lift them yet. Any ideas what's going on and how to sort them out?

Any ideas welcomed!
    Si

20. PlymouthMaid

When did you plant them? It may just be that they are ready or, of course, something sinister in which case it would still be a good idea to lift them I think. Not a spud expert I am afraid. Would suggest perhaps that you have a little poke about to see if the spuds seem ready.