1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The allotment thread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by deleted361, May 15, 2009.

1. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I would like to know what to plant now.I have bought some onion sets today and will plant tomorrow.We did really well with onions this year and shallots.I planted them in patches.They are now hanging in our cellar.
    I think our bed situation needs sorting too.What do you do for paths? I have a few wooden planks or trodden down earth...all the rain this year the paths have been weedy .

2. Our paths are just grass/earth and we strim them a lot. I tried putting planks down but they just got in the way.
    I hope we can grow onions, but if we do have soft nose rot I will have to grow them in containers - not really what I want to do.
    You can grow quite a bit over winter, with or wothout cloches. Mainly leeks, all year cabbage and cauli, some kale and perpetual spinach, even swiss chard apparently!
    I'll be giving it all go over half term and keeping my fingers crossed.

3. Well, it's spring here. I've got about 30 potatoes up and running. They'll get another load of straw and chook poo on top later today - and they'll have to grow a bit more and put on more tubers.
    My newly planted cherry and stone fruit trees look a bit strange. There are baby fruit on them - but I've hung glass marbles in pantyhose feet from most of the branches to get the 'right' shape to develop fruiting in the right places. The zucchinis and capsicums are sulking - the ground got a bit cold the day we planted them out because it rained and didn't warm up for a day or two.
    Got dozens and dozens of seeds just coming through. I'll have to ***** out the lettuces today.

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Just dug out a few spuds
    had to call the fire brigade - a first for me - illegal burning on the allotments.............

5. Well! Haven't we been quiet?
    I hope that like me you have all been busy sowing stuff, despite the weather!
    I've just been brave and planted out broad bean's, French and runners plus some peas (with seed in the ground as back up).They had far outgrown their 2nd potting on and really had to go out! Fingers crossed.
    I've got tomatoes, chillies, aubergines, carrots, spring onions, leeks, khol rabi, caulis. cabbage, turnips, black kale, whitloof, florence fennel, mixed leaves, white alpine strawberries and physallis in modules... slow slow going there, especially as it is unheated!
    Raspberry bushes are looking good, gooseberries look great and the blueberries are trying!
    I have no flowers or herbs, must do that next weekend!
    What about you?

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I haven't got an allotment, only a small garden but we've got radishes, beetroot, leeks, salad and carrots grown from seed in containers starting to come through. We've got oregano, thyme and rosemary doing well and the mint is starting to come back. We have basil in the kitchen waiting for the warm weather so it can be put outside and peas indoors ready to be hardened off before planting out. I'll use some spare runner bean plants planted at school and put a few of those in the garden too. We planted a good rhubarb plant a few weeks ago but won't be able to use any until next year.
    There's a blueberry bush in a pot but we've never had anything from that yet. There's a fig tree in a huge container, we didn't get any fruit last year as there wasn't enough sun but did the year before. Strawberries in containers obviously.

7. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Yep was there this morning - planted runner bean seeds, lots of weeding, readied a sweetcorn bed and discovered that my hoe has been stolen. Bah.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

And six sacks for growing potatoes.

9. Lovely weekend - cutting the grass on the paths (good workout using manual mower), netting peas, weeding winter onions, sowing all the seeds I should`ve done in April, but didn`t because of the horrible weather, watering diddy plants we brought back from Cornwall @ Easter.( I know it`s "cheating but they are so far advanced compared to us here up North.), gossiping, eating my butties, drinking tea, organising my greenhouse and the best of all picking the asparagus.
    After 11 hours down there I`m aching but happy.

10. Ah tomato blight is a ***. You could try spraying with Bordeaux mixture before signs of blight, but that has limited success.
    Never water in the evening - any water on the leaves only encourages blight as does standing in water.
    Otherwise, remove any affected leaves ( by pulling, not cutting) as soon as you see them and burn them.
    Oh, and avoid handling the plants too much as that can spread the disease.
    Good luck!