1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The allotment thread

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by deleted361, May 15, 2009.

1. Sorry I can't answer your questions as its all new to me too but thought I'd pop on this thread and say hello!
    I've recently taken over an allotment - well, it was an allotment 25 years ago but it's getting there. My main jobs of the last month have been rotavating, picking out the twitch and getting a few potatoes, beans, caulis in so some actual growing can go on.
    My back is knackered from all the digging when I come in of an evening but I really love it. I find, for the few hours I'm down there, I don't give a seconds thought to school - or anything else come to that. And you can't beat a good old natter with one of the allotment natives. Ace!!
    What jobs has anyone else got for whit break? I'm putting up a fence to keep out the bunnies.

2. Hi,

We have a small walled garden next to our rented house. It's mainly paved with a bit of grass. As it's rented we cant really dig up the lawn so my boyfriend has built some wooden planters to put on our window sills and large ones to put round the edge of the paved area. We have some large pots too and a couple of hanging baskets and cheap growbags.
    We are trying to grow onions, leeks, carrots and lettuces in the planters, runner beans and tumbling toms in the baskets and some spinach, herbs in the window boxes. In our pots we're trying out some peas, sweet peas. In grow bags and sacks we are trying courgettes, squash, potatoes and tomatoes and strawberries. It's great fun ! I 'm really enjoying eating our own salads and am planting some mixed leaves in growbags every couple of weeks so we have a constant supply.
    The next thing we're starting is peppers and chilli peppers on a warm windowsill indoors.

3. You're quite right about the chunks of time. I left my plot for a whole week and you should have seen the state of the weeds when I got back. I did 2 hours weeding today then 1 hour preparing the ground for beans. Enjoyed every minute of it! This is the life...[​IMG]

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Helo again fellow allotmenteers. The weeds are a nigtmare at the moment. I spent 2 hours today just removing grass from paths which was threatening to swamp my veg beds. On the bright side, I have strawberries in flower and we have taken two lettuces home so far. I have found a great forum for allotment stuff:
    http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/
    just reading that sent me off to Thompson and Morgan to buy half price seeds.
    The cold weather seems to be holding the plants back an awful lot. I could swear that my courgette plant is actually smaller than when I put it in.
    Tomorrow, if dry, will be more weeding and the building of my mini plastic greenhouse for the yard.
    The netting is driving me insane on the allotment as it makes it so hard to weed and water easily. i keep getting tangled in it and I sadly found a dead pigeon in it last week.

5. My runner beans are very popular with the slugs- my God they were busy last night!!
    Onions are shooting up and spinach and salad leaves doing well. My courgette and squash plants are very slow too PM and I've ended up bringing my toms in to put on the windowsill as they hated it outside!

6. Darn slugs! Pigeons have found a way into my caulis but not too much damage.
    What jobs have you all lined up for the next few weeks?

7. PlymouthMaid

Later today when it's not do damn hot I will toodle down there with plans to get rid of a bit more grass, plant a few more bean seeds and prepare a space for a few tomato plants and water the whole thing which takes an age as we are not allowed hose pipes (!!). If I can find a decent enough bit of ground I will plant more beetroot and carrots and some radishes.
    I have lost two brussels sprout plants to a mysterious wee beastie whioch has chewed through the stems underground.
    Broad bean have pods now which is great. My baby toms are loving their new home in the mini greenhouse.

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

In the veg patch in the garden we have: Courgettes (see my other thread, we're going to have LOTS!), Peppers, Cherry toms, lettuces, two types of bean (green and yellow varieties) plus melons, not veg I know, but we're trying! Courgettes starting to flower, beans too. Lettuce getting to be nearly ready to harvest. Can't wait to taste!

9. Am checking my courgettes every few hours- think Im losing the plot.

Anyone got any anti slug remedies other than pellets. They are enjoying my lettuces and at this rate we won't get any!
    PS we have a hot chilli plant on our living room windowsill and we are getting lots of chillies now.

10. PlymouthMaid

Use some left over beer (or buy the cheap stuff) and sink it into the ground in an old tin or dish so that the wee beasties can jump in, get inibriated and drown. just dont forget to tip it away as believe me it stinks after a few days in the sun.

11. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Yup, beer is the standard slug deterrent, or rather they love it so crawl into it. Husband read that sprinkling ash from a fire or barbecue around the plants stops them approaching as they don't like the feel of it. We don't have much of a slug problem, though. Main problem is ants (and moles all over the land, he's turning into the Jasper Carrott mole fiend- remember the sketch? )

12. We poked the turnips yesterday - and quickly picked the lot, it's freezing time again.
    There's a suspiciously large looking cabbage that needs blanching and freezing too!
    I may even have some khol rabi - but I'm not sure what to do with it so I am ignoring it for a couple of days while I look it up [​IMG]
    Leeks are still tiny, onions look good, caulis are still small and I have no idea how big the florence fennel will be!
    Beans are just flowering and I am about to shove in my 3rd attempt at peas - dam n rabbits!
    Second sowings of spring onions and lettuce going in too!
    Strawberries are looking good, tomatoes too, sunflowers are enjoying themselves.

But I have a load of perrenials to go into a plot of land that Climber has't sorted yet! So they are going in where the turnips refused to grow, I'll hike them back out in Oct/Nov and over winter them under cloches or in the greenhouse ready for next year!

Oh the joys [​IMG]

13. We tried growing our broad beans through rusty tin cans - supposedly slugs won't climb on rust. I'm not sure that the cans were rusty enough - we'll try keeping them for next year - but we didn't have any problems with slugs (on either those with or without cans).

14. PlymouthMaid

I haven't noticed any slug trouble onthe braod beans, they seem to prefer peas and courgette plants.

15. For some reason I hadn't even thought about doing a second sowing of these! It must be the name. I bought a new packet today, but eight wasted spring-onion-less weeks. You live and learn.

16. Triangle, you can keep on sowing them for months and months.
    I have a cloche and grow them with winter salads - all cozy and protected a bit and we get fresh home grown greens through much of winter.
    Look for hardy varieties and they last all through winter, sown in August and September.
    I use Deep Purple for early ones, they are red and remind me of my dads musical taste!!
    Blood Red Mate, sown as spring onions and picked to leave some to grow to a full bulb. They're red too, I'll let you kow how that goes, this is the firts year I've tried!
    Ramrod for over wintering - a white one
    Or Evergreen Hardy White, they're easy to find.

Yes, we do like our onions! They are something I can grow!

17. It was an overwintering variety I bought - they worked last time. Sadly they don't seem to have a name (I don't think 'Hardy', though venerable, counts). Are all the Deep Purple (Ahh that brings back musical memories), Bloody mate etc. varieties of spring onion?!
    A whole new world of knowing my onions is opening up to me.

18. Good grief Triangle! You have made me feel all spring onion obsessive [​IMG]

Yes, they are all spring onions. I tend to buy a lot of packets so I have straight ones, bulbed ones, red ones, white ones, summer and winter ones! 6 packets last me 2 years and I usually get some of them as a free packet or sample on the front of a monthly magazine!
    This year I am growing big onions from seed for the very first time, they are looking good! But I don't hink I'll get so hung up on them, I'll just find white spring onion I can use and leave some in to bulb up!

It's odd, but quite exciting!

19. PlymouthMaid

As I read this, I have a packet of Apache (Deep purple) sitting on the desk beside me waiting for a trip to the allotment. My first sowing of spring onions haven't done much which was disappointing. All I can see are a few grass like strands amongst the weeds and I sowed them at the end of March! The same has happened to the leeks.

20. This is my first year on the allotment and after the rabbits feasted on most of my produce, I'm only left with potatoes, beans, pumpkins and tomatoes.
    Is ittoo late to start anything else off? The little lot above won't keep me fed through the winter months!