1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The All New MORNINGTON CRESCENT

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tafkam, Aug 20, 2008.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Well, it looks as though the new site has arrived and is here to stay. And so, in celebration, may I start the newest game of Mornington Crescent.
    During the teething period of the new site, I suggest playing 1999 rules, to aboid any confusion between up-to-date law changes which have been lost in the transfer.
    A simple opening start:
    LIVERPOOL STREET

2. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

The 1999 rules won't allow the obvious play to Wimbledon via Cockfosters - a simple opening start it might be but it opens up a can of worms. I realise that it is a safe, yet boring move but I am going to go to Russell Square [​IMG]

3. tafkam

Safe, but not without its foibles, as it opens up quite a lot of laterals... but not all! Keeps us on our toes, I suppose.

MORDEN

4. Good to see you made it Tafkam

Isnt it all new and shiny and does anyone know where the coat pegs Are?

Emminently sensible suggestion about the Rules if I may say so.

Think I'll start with Penge

5. This is all a bit strange.
    Ravenscourt Park

6. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Blimey - an early move to Ravenscourt there kipperthedog but I guess it works...just. Lord Arnsworth lost two rounds with a similar move but that was on a Saturday so you should be ok.

Shall I play safe? Earls Court.

7. tafkam

There seems to be a lot of playing safe at the moment. Maybe with all the brouhaha elsewhere, we're none of us feeling like taking risks. In the same vein, I'm afraid, the rather predictable
    CUTTY SARK

8. lovely

lovely Occasional commenter

I havent a clue how to play this..but isnt all about tube stations and penge isnt a tube station!

9. tafkam

It's a common misunderstanding, lovely, but not an unreasonable presumption. Best way to learn is to play - why not have a go and see how you get on?

10. Oh lovely If only it was that simple.

But we are to help, might I refer you to the following

'Mornington Crescent for Beginners' A R SWANSON 1905

'The Penge Ploy and it's influence on the development of MC' Vol Xi Mornington Gazette

'Alternative Strategies To Spoon or Not ' 1966 B Charlton

These should provide you with a good general grounding and I am sure my colleagues will add to the list. Above all as me learned friend Tafkam suggests play, enjoy, learn.

Salve !

11. tafkam

I thought I had a great move up my sleeve, but no-ones played a move since I was last here, so we're still stuck at
    CUTTY SARK

12. That always happens to me Tafkam though mainly in Scrabble.

Hmm, I'm in a bit of a dilemma here though,

MONUMENT

13. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

BANK

Hmm, maybe that's not such a good move. Is it the weakest link?

14. I laugh at the Victoria Line. [​IMG]
    Time for something a little more spicey. (Used, I believe in the first ever International between the Vatican and Andorra, played in Monacco in 1899)
    BRICK LANE
    Now try and avoid Nid!
    ha ha ha haha (evil laugh).

(Sorry, don't know what came over me there!)

15. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Easy! Playing Brick Lane allows me to use the rare Nazrul Uddin manouevre and play

The Star of Bengal Tandoori House.

16. Now while Middlemarch goes to jail, that gives me the rare opportunity to play VICTORIA STATION, since it's before 10pm, and it's not often before 10pm, is it. And my font is all white too, but if you select it you can see all your typos. nice.

Good to see all you folks back again.

17. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Hasta la Victoria station siempre!

18. gameplayer

gameplayer New commenter

Just back from a brief sojourn in deepest Sussex and it's taken me all day to work this out and to find this thread.

I think the new site is making even the easy version of MC more difficult, so I beg yourn tolerance if this is a major faux pas but I will venture

WESTMINSTER

19. Gosh it's good to have the guys back even though Ginger's Kite got pranged and he finished up in the drink.

Fortunately this has inspired me to play the little used ' Cumberland side step' (1906 Croyden Empire Arena Jones T M G v Maharajah of Sinderabad Day Two Move 1262

-moving to Embankment via The Won Hung Lo Chinese laundry.....

20. WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the message box has reverted to black type so I can see what I'm writing. So - where to? Ding ding. All stations to - wait for it -

COCKFOSTERS