1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Alhambra

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I'm planning a day trip there, arriving by train. I've read the official site regarding booking tickets blah blah, but I wondered if any of you have been recently and could give me any tips, useful info etc.
    Muchas gracias.

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

This is also high on my list. Where are you actually staying Dunteachin?

3. Dunteachin

Benalmadena. Don't laugh. Free accommodation and cheap flights! £20 coming back!

4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've passed through Benalmadena it's not all that bad. A friend's Mum used to have a villa there.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Book tickets online beforehand in plenty of time. It's easy. Don't go by train on the day. Youll always regret not having enough time.

Go the day before, stay over and get there early. Don't miss out generalife.

6. Dunteachin

Thanks, girls.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It is fabulous. Have a wonderful time. A very staid ex colleague of mine stayed in Torremolinos when she visited. She never regretted it.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Warning.

Your online tickets, and even some tickets issued by hotels, have to be exchanged for real tickets when you get to the Alhambra. Because they are vouchers not actual tickets. Sigh.

At a different ticket office from the main one. :(

If they send you back it can take 20-30 minutes with the walk and then the queue. We nearly lost our timeslot . . .

And @Dunteachin , from Benal you can catch a bus to beautiful Estepona . . . There are 13 km, thirteen kilometres, of streets like this.

:)

calle torrejon 2.jpg calle Maria Espinosa z.jpg ! Calle Cruz.jpg Pasaje Maruja Mayo 2.jpg Pasaje Francisca Contreras.jpg calle aurora.jpg

Attached Files:

Dunteachin and FrankWolley like this.
  9. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I would just get up extra early in the morning and go queue. That's what my friend and I did & our queue was much shorter than the queue for people who had reserved tickets online.

10. Dunteachin

Thanks for those gorgeous photos, Theo. That's definitely on the list.

I read that you can get your online tickets from automated machines near the main ticket office, thus reducing queuing time. It all sounds a little fraught... We'll see.

Would really like to go to Gibraltar, too. I know there's not much there, but I'd still like to step foot on the Rock.

We're only going for 8 days...

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Went to Gibraltar once. What a dump. Renamed it "Birmingham-on-sea".

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Obviously you are talking about the wrong Alhambra, this one is much easier to visit! download.jpg

lindenlea and Dunteachin like this.
  13. Dunteachin

Thanks, Jacob. I'll not bother, then...

14. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

;)

15. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

@Dunteachin This will help you get in the mood (Memories of Alhambra is the title of the piece)

Dunteachin likes this.
  16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

That's how we did it. We were sceptical about the machines - but it all worked really well.

As well as the timed entry into the inner part (which is so beautiful it will make you cry...), they restrict visitor numbers every day. It means that, if you visit at a busy time especially, you run the risk of not being able to get in unless you book in advance.

The Telegraph had a good feature on the Alhambra a couple of months ago, which is here. It explains how to book.

Tapas bars in Granada often give free tapas with drinks, btw - result!

You can also book train tickets online on the Spanish Renfe website - and it has an English translation option. That also worked very well. We organised our own Seville / Cordoba / Granada trip, flying into Malaga and using the trains - and without speaking Spanish. It all worked really well. Be aware that the train services do not always run the same on Sundays - check the timetable.

We caught a bus from Cordoba to Granada on a Sunday, because the train wasn't running. It took longer, but was actually lovely, because it travelled through the olive growing area. We then got the bus back from Granada to Malaga - I seem to recall there was no easy train journey on that particular route.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Dunteachin likes this.
  17. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

My o/h has been and said it was much smaller than expected, crowded and pretty remote, so get your arrangements in place well early to avoid wasting half a day, as others have said.

18. palmtree100

palmtree100 Lead commenter

Green with envy!

19. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

The Alhambra

Definitely get an audio guide on the way in (you leave your passport or an ID card as a deposit) - you'll get so much more out of the visit.

If you can, go back in the evening for the Visita Nocturna - I've done it a few times and while you don't get to see as much (only the main palace & courtyards), there are FAR fewer people around and it just feels magical under the stars.

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

If you are on foot its quite a walk to the top of the hill. We tried to go there a few years back but couldn't buy a ticket on the door (well not without several hours wait) so we didn't bother.