1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The agony of supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Oldfashioned, Apr 17, 2019.

1. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Peakster

I am very sorry to hear about your ex-head. Of course he is worried - anyone would be. I sincerely hope he recovers.

Your sister has done VERY well to be working again; she is not a quitter like her brother.

I won't give up but it is not much fun teaching a class with students who are lazy - labelled lazy by their teacher and demonstrated by their behaviour. Maybe I sound negative, but it is true. Schools are full of lazy students; these students were the laziest bunch I had ever met.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    agathamorse likes this.
  2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hear,hear. Pepper.

Some students I meet will really need to change once they leave school.

The good news is I think they probably could. I remember over 20 years ago meeting people I had taught a year or so after they had left school at 16. They had turned into polite enthusiastic workers.

They hadn’t been encouraged to be as badly behaved as some today, but they had definitely been changed by the experience of going out to work.

3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I have decided I’m definitely looking for work outside teaching as soon as I get some free time...

Roll on learning shorthand and typing courses....

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes

People can change.

I am now worried I will see former students at the job centre.

BetterNow likes this.
  5. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Yes definitely. What I do is, I set aside enough money to cover me over August and September. I assume I won't have much work in September, so at least the pressure is off. Up to now, this has worked well, fingers crossed. I must admit, I am so happy not having to attend staff training days or constant meetings that are boring and drag on. I can focus on teaching and planning my lessons instead (I often do longer term cover roles).

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  6. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Sorry to hijack this thread, but due to a lack of day2day I have reluctantly accepted a Supply teaching post for the Summer term at a Primary school. I am doing planning, assessment, data gathering and analysis and having observations via learning walks and drop-ins, with feedback. I am also expected to attend most/all staff meetings. Detailed marking is also required. Further, I am undertaking all duties including dealing with difficult parents.
    No planning whatsoever exists for any subjects, so I get a morning's PPA,
    Is this now the normal expectation for longer term Supply?

7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Longer term Supply does seem to entail all the workload of permanent staff. It might be worth asking your agency. One school I worked at didn’t expect me to do Parents Evenings but were pleased when I did.

Not sure you should be having observations. ...

Primary does seem to expect the extra mile from Supply.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Last time I did a long term supply contract in a secondary school I was expected to do everything that a regular teacher would do - that included going to meetings and parents evenings.

JohnJCazorla, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  9. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Yes, I'm afraid it is - especially in Primary. It might be worth contacting your agency to see if they can relieve some of the pressure, especially regarding observations. Remember, the school can't Performance Manage you as they don't pay you - that is probably your only bargaining chip, but definitely use it. You could also ask to be paid extra for parents' evenings, but not for staff meetings. I hope you're getting at least £145 a day for this gig - if not, try to up the ante. We all know long term supply seems to offer the worst of both worlds, but needs must. Hope it goes well for you and keep us informed.

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

If, and it is a big IF, you have any bargaining chips then you need to find the right people and use them. I spend a lot of time at any long-term gig trying to identify the right people and getting what I want off them, some are easy
    Agency - pay only, Cover Organiser - protecting my PPA

Others like no book marking, passes on observations, avoiding meetings or getting paid for INSET require a lot of politicking and I can only get away with liberties there because they've already realized I'm half-decent and no-one else is available.

agathamorse likes this.