1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Aftermath *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 20, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So below I'm going to post what I liked and didn't like at the new Star Wars film... and I'll put them under spoilers.

Positives:
    1. The young cast... John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver and Oscar Issac were all excellent. Though Issac didn't have much to do.
    2. The first half... the Jakku scenes were excellent and really established characters well, both Finn and Rey thriving as we got to know them.
    3. It felt real... the lack of CGI really helped the film develop a distinct voice from the prequel trilogy.
    4. Returning characters... Solo and Chewie were v.good... C3PO is still annoying... Leia was fine...
    5. Direction... this was solid with Abrams reining in his more flamboyant urges seen in the Star Trek franchise.
    6. Script... infinitely better than the prequels though certain plotting beats were off. See 'negatives'.
    7. Han Solo's death... was done well.

Negatives:
    1. The second half of the film plays it safe by retreating to similar narrative beats to Episodes 4 and 6. Giant planet killing weapon needing destroyed by plucky underdogs.
    2. There seemed to be a lot of background action which was skimmed over... Luke training young Jedi especially... that I wanted to know more about.
    3. It was a bit overreliant on the original trilogy for the music... John Williams did better work on the prequels.
    4. Act Three lacked a sense of threat... the countdown element [30 seconds till firing etc] kept being off set by action sequences that went on for over 30 seconds.
    5. The villains got away? I don't know... there wasn't a scene establishing that, so just an assumption.
    6. The CGI characters did jar because the rest of the film was so grounded in non-CGI settings.
    7. So Luke turns up at the end and says... nothing. Hamill looked the boss but... he says nothing. Was he just standing on the cliff?
    8. The science! I know it's a fantasy film but even so, lasers that travel thousands of light years in seconds but can be viewed moving slowly and destroy multiple worlds in a galactic power [the Republic] which has been poorly established.

I'll think of more with time... right now 4/5...

Lara mfl 05 and midnight_angel like this.
  2. By_the_Shiny_Brook

By_the_Shiny_Brook Established commenter

I hope you enjoyed it Mr.Lanokia despite my putting a downer on it the other day.

lanokia likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It was decent... a necessary restart for the franchise after the prequels...

And no worries about the 'downer'... everyone is entitled to an opinion.

midnight_angel likes this.
  4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Saw it yesterday as elder Pee's birthday treat. What struck me was the storyline being (to me anyway) a space age version of a traditional hollywood 70's western. Enjoyable at that level just the same ;)

midnight_angel and lanokia like this.
  5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Lanokia
    Write out 100 times
    "It is just a film and it really isn't that important"

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The 70s western feel is pretty close to spot on... these really aren't science fiction however many robots and spaceships they insert...

colpee likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

9. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Oh - I loved it. There were a couple of slight issues, but I LOVED IT!

I'm also off to join the Dark Side if they all look like Kylo Ren - damn he's hot! Hans and Leia did well there. You know despite him trying to kill everyone thing ;) I also would have liked some more flashbacks to Luke's training academy. Maybe we'll get this in the next one? Especially the part about his nephew's conversion.

Now, a little game: Guess which part I cried at? It wasn't the "obvious" part.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hmmm which bit you cried at....

1. Luke at the very end?
    2. 'Chewie we're home'?
    3. Something involving Daisy Ridley because of all the new cast I felt she was most successful at getting me to care about her.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What was with the vanishing characters! So Max Von Sydow turns out... does his epic voice and then boom, dead...

Then Oscar Issac does a fair bit, acts like he maybe the lead, the vanishes from the movie.

Maz [the small alien that I can't remember the surname of] vanishes after the First Order attack on the planet. Just straight out vanishes.

And General Hux and Kylo Ren aren't addressed at the end of the movie so did they die when the planet when nova [silly!] or did they escape?

12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Debating with elder Pee whether a future film have a Wizard of Oz twist to the stature of the Supreme Leader.:eek:

lanokia likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... did smack of over-compensating.

14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

The Leia actress seemed to have wandered in from her shopping to do a few scenes - all typical middle aged country lady looking.

15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Was Yoda in it? Or did they just get Kermit instead?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Kermit is doing crumpet ads...

And Yoda?

He died in Return of the Jedi

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Nope to all 3 of those. Although, my little encore of crying did involve the tender moment between Rey and Leia, and that's a clue to the moment when I did start crying ...

18. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

How much did they pay Mark Hamill to appear at the very very end and stand there saying nothing?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

'Lurking' here as I don't mind any spoilers. Husband doesn't do films/ cinema - only ever been once in our entire 30+ married life! I used to go with my sons, but now they've got new responsibilities and I don't know anyone with similar Sci Fi interests I shall have to wait till they release the DVD.
    So is it as good as the originals? Better? does it explain a bit more background?

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's as good as New Hope and a bit better than Return of the Jedi. Not as good as Empire. The second half loses focus and I'd excise the entire
    starkiller base thread, maybe have Finn hint at a superweapon being built, and instead establish the New Order and the Republic/Resistance as credible players. And the hunt for Skywalker plot line felt rushed by the end.