1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The after effects of the dreaded Rhinovirus!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon740, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I'm getting over a cold and am in between the cold and blocked sinus stage (can't decide whether the cold itself or the after effects are worse) but can't take sudafed or cold and flu tablets because I'm also taking ADs. Apart from Honey and Lemon (which I tried and hated), olabus oil in a bath, a walk, and shoving vicks on my chest, does anyone know of anything else I can try to 'get things moving'?

Many thanks

MsB

2. I don't know why you can't take sudafed or cold/flu medicines? Ive been on ADs for nearly 3years now and can take everything except St Johns Wort. I would double check with your GP in the morning and then take something if you can.
    For tonight- get a big dish of boiling water and lean over it with a towel over your head to steam your nasal passage and sinuses as best you can. It will loosen the gunk and you should be able to blow most of it out!

3. PS please pop back and let us know what GP says re sudafed etc as Im intrigued as I was never told to avoid.

4. I will let you know when I next see her which won't be for a while. ;-)

In the meantime, I'll try the steam!

Many thanks!

5. I checked at the chemists. Apparently, there is no interaction between sudafed and citalopram, so it's ok for me to take it, but in typical sod's law style, I don't need to now (the steam inhalation didn't entirely do the trick but it did remove some of the gunk and yoga has moved the rest around, so I feel a lot better now)!