1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The advantages of getting older . . .

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Sep 17, 2015.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I read a post recently which really chimed with me:

Having recently got the Millenium 4 book, the one by Horo-whatsisname instead of by the original author Swedish Larswhatsisname, I thought that it might be a good idea to re-read the first three first before tackling number four. Just to refresh my memory.

Well, to my utter delight, I cannot remember a single thing about the earlier books!

It's just like reading them for the very first time. I surely now never need to buy another book as I can just re-read them all. And as long as I iron it neatly every evening, I can probably get away with never buying another newspaper either.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Yeah it like being asked for directions and you cant remember the names of the road.or the way to the place.Why doesn't familiar places stay in your memory..the joys of age.

Age is wonderful.It gives us an excuse not to know anything.and the folks never ask us about things.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Great post, Theo. Love the bit about the newspaper.

(Er, what's a newspaper? I know what a website is though.)

I hardly ever could remember novel plots. I read quite fast.

(Reminds self to start again with my kindle books.)

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I shall look forward to being able to re-read all my Agatha Christies in safety.

You've just reminded I'm supposed to be re-reading Harry Potter 6 and 7. Our household rule is "books before movies" - daughter has now read the last two, but it's so long since I read them that I pleaded to be allowed to re-read before we watch the films together. She's not chased me up on it recently, but once the Bake-Off season is over, she'll probably remember.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm a very fast reader and have suffered from this 'But I've read this book before - why can't I remember the plot?' syndrome all my life. It's especially annoying if you buy a book and then discover you've already got it and have clearly, at some point, read it...

6. grumpydogwoman

That's me all over. Get close to the end and begin to wonder if I've read it before!

The good thing about kindle is that, when you try to buy a book that you have already, it tells you not to be so daft!

7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I have been known to click on 'buy now' before noticing that I've already bought it though! I'm glad it's not just me who reads books and then can't remember having read them.

8. Middlemarch

True, true.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There's lots of advantages in getting old. Your wedding suit will be back in fashion for a start. Free TV licences for the over 75s. Bus passes of course and cheap rail travel if you by a senior railcard. I remember my sweetheart got two pairs of glasses from Specsavers for £25 last year because of her age. Fashionable ones too.

Half price haircuts for pensioners, even for those who've still got hair to cut. When you visit the doctors, they let you have an all you can eat buffet of pills for free. You try getting pills off the doctor when you're young...

Then there's the fact that nothing really matters that much anymore, not like it did when you were young. Did it matter that much who won the arguments you had?

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Snap

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I'm glad it isn't just me. Now I have the Kindle I am reading more and more new books and it is getting worse. Not seeing the cover doesn't help. As GDW says, at least you can't buy books twice on the Kindle. I have accidentally bought Kindle books that are on the book shelf.

12. grumpydogwoman

So there's a substantial number of us in the DKIIRION* Club. We should have a badge.

*don't know if I read it or not

Then there's the growing suspicion you MAY have read it but you can't be sure! And when you get to the end and you STLL think it may be the second time you've read it but wouldn't swear to it.

Maybe novels are like pop songs. They've all been done before. Or maybe I just read some very trashy psycho-thrillers........

13. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Count me in as a member of the DKIIRION club.

I've very recently been reunited with my books after a year - it's wonderful. I've obviously read them all before but they feel like new books :)

14. grumpydogwoman

I thought it was just me!!!!!

15. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I'm the same as Middlemarch - have always been like this so have been able to recycle books when I run out of stuff to read. All that has changed with the Kindle though and I have given away a lot of paperbacks prior to downsizing.

16. grumpydogwoman

So it's nearly everyone then. Wow.

17. Middlemarch

Not an advantage of getting older this time, but a facet: today I called my dentist (he's about 14) "Sweetheart".

18. grumpydogwoman

I got my first free prescription today.

I enjoy calling people 'dear'.

"That's nice, dear. Yes, dear. Young men like you, dear, .......

I could be your gran. Oh, I wouldn't know, dear. Can you do that for me, dear?"

Also the wonderful, "Well, you're too young to know that, dear. What a shame."

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The best thing I have found is being able to point out to management just how stupid, unreal and disingenuous their ridiculous ideas are. They can sack me if they want I am only holding on a bit longer for the hell of it.

20. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Doesn't help when publishers keep changing the cover designs so they even look like books you haven't read.