1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Actual Book Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, Jul 23, 2017.

1. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Great idea @Motherofchikkins @galerider123 also suggested a poll for this purpose too a while back in the thread

- great minds...etc.

However, thinking of posting a poll in Personal and asking the TES crowd to vote in a book for us each month is sheer genius :) we can't get any more impartial than that can we.

Just one problem...

I've never made or posted a poll on TES so haven't a clue where or how to start. Would one of you two perhaps be willing to make a suitable poll thread in Personal on behalf of us all in the ABC (Actual Book Club - I've only just noticed this :p).

galerider123 likes this.
  2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Hello @peggylu :) * waves *

Starting a thread with a poll is not difficult. Click on Start a Thread as usual and then look below the message box for Post a Poll with all the options available for your poll - number of possible responses etc. Why don't you have go at creating a poll in this forum? I'm sure no-one would mind you having a play! :D

upload_2017-8-30_22-36-6.png

galerider123 and peggylu like this.
  3. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Hi @marlin - waves back-

Thanks, that's really kind of you :) I'd love to have a play around making one. We will need a new poll every month with our different suggested titles to vote for.

I'm too tired now but I may try producing a practice poll somehere in the forums tomorrow when I get a bit of spare time.

Thanks again. Are you joining in the ABC with us all? We'd love to have you :)

galerider123 and marlin like this.
  4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I have just watched the first two episodes of Mr Mercedes via the link from the Radio Times. Slightly different, but I do like Brendan Gleason as Hodges. Just no access to the the following episodes .....

I'm happy to go with a longer period of time and any book - they're all in paperback I think or available from the library.

5. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Ohhh.. How did you do this, link from the Radio Times? Isn't that a paper magazine or am I really showing my age :oops:

I'd love to watch these if you could direct me to this link.

6. frangipani123

I googled it after looking in vain on youtube for a full episode:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...ch-the-first-two-episodes-for-free-right-now/

There's a link in the middle of the article. It has good reviews in the States but - according to the article - hasn't been picked up here, but hopefully it will be.

7. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Ok. @marlin 's instructions for making a poll in a thread look pretty straightforward, I'm sure I could manage to follow them and make one.

However, I have started to think that It all seems to be a little over complicated just for us to choose a book title! What if there ended up being equal votes for each title we'd be back to square one.

I know everyone here is being very polite (obviously as we are lovely people :)) and not wanting to push the title they've suggested above any others but if we do this process each month, and more people join in, it will take ages to get in everyone's suggestions followed by waiting more days for votes to be registered.

We have 4 titles suggestions, they all sound interesting. Why don't we just have them all? One title per month over Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec/.

Everyone can then see what book is coming up and choose whether to join in that month or not. We can then all suggest another book in Jan and make a new advance reading list. I think this would be easier all round and has the advantage of everyone's suggestions being read.

Would everyone be ok with this?

lizziescat and marlin like this.
  8. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Sounds good to me!

peggylu likes this.
  9. frangipani123

Yep, I'd agree with it - makes sense.

peggylu likes this.
  10. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Brilliant!

We can share our thoughts about each book and author on the last day of each month, (this also means we don't have to keep setting end dates too - much easier).

11. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

The ABC (Actual Book Club) virtual book club READING LIST for SEPT-DEC 2017

All are very welcome to dip in and out throughout the year - you can just join in for a month where the title interests you :) or try something new!

The ABC THREAD LINK:
    https://community.tes.com/threads/the-actual-book-club.761534/page-2

Titles for this reading list gratefully received from
    @Motherofchikkins @frangipani123
    @galerider123

SEPT: 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sense-Endi...=1504005890&sr=1-1&keywords=a+sense+of+ending

OCT: "Tin Man" by Sarah Winman

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tin-Man-Sa...8&qid=1504004759&sr=8-1&keywords=sarah+winman

NOV: "Different Class" by Joanne Harris

https://www.amazon.com/Different-Class-Joanne-Harris/dp/0385619235

DEC: "Perfect" by Rachel Joyce

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Ra...8&qid=1504005558&sr=1-6&keywords=rachel+joyce

Thoughts and discussions about each book posted at the end of each month.

Happy Reading! :)

12. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I've ordered the first book. Only £3.99 with Prime delivery too :) I'm impressed. It should arrive tomorrow.

I'd never have picked this out on my own so I'm quite excited to be reading something totally different.

Edited: Just noticed, delivery is Monday even with Prime :( must be because it's the weekend.

frangipani123 likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

frangipani123 and peggylu like this.
  14. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Brilliant. :) Really glad you can join us this month.

15. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Ordered. And excited!

peggylu likes this.
  16. galerider123

Don't forget to look on the buying options if you are counting the pennies!

peggylu likes this.
  17. marlin

marlin Star commenter

upload_2017-9-1_12-14-50.png

Tin Man, according to Amazon, is not available in paperback until March 2018.

Ordered! :)

peggylu likes this.
  18. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Yes I noticed this for October's book but still included it as the link provided by the person suggesting the book was to a reasonably priced hardback.

Amazon : Hardback (£9.99 new)

or Kindle (£6.49) version is available.

Waterstones: Hardback £9.99

I also found it new on eBay for £4.99

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/112524201978?_mwBanner=1

Edited: always check out the sellers stats on eBay though.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  19. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

September's book is proving popular :).

20. galerider123

I clicked on the paperback first and thought that I had made an awful gaff...apologies everyone! We could have it later in the year if it suits people better...?

peggylu likes this.