1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Actual Book Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, Jul 23, 2017.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I have to say that I don't particularly like the book, but I do like Stephen King; it's just too topical :( -- oh, well, will finish it by the 25th.:eek:

peggylu likes this.
  2. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

@sabrinakat - I share your :eek:thoughts on that topicality. When we all discuss it in more detail- the event in the final chapters are just so like a not too long ago UK occurrence too.

But, look at the date of publication - 2014. Also in an interview with Parade, published May 26, 2013, King confirmed that the novel was "more or less" completed-

These pre-date the events I think we're both referring to, which begs the question, was it where the ideas behind the various topical events came from. Horrific if so.

Can't wait to see what others think on the point you make about topicality on the 25th, regardless of whether they enjoyed the book/story/characters or not.

Glad you're sticking with it to the end. I find that hard to do too when I don't like the book, so your commitment to the book club is duly noted. :)

galerider123 and sabrinakat like this.
  3. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Read. :)

peggylu likes this.
  4. sabrinakat

Finished last night :)

peggylu and galerider123 like this.
  5. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

galerider123 likes this.
  6. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Hope everyone's also thinking up a possible next book to suggest too. I won't be suggesting a title as I chose the book this time.

7. sabrinakat

I'm also reading a Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England?

peggylu likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've decided I'll join in with the next book (unless work gets insane) ...

peggylu likes this.
  9. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Oohhh. History. Love history.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

That's brilliant, the more new title suggestions and opinions we get the better. :)

I'm worrying about work getting in the way of reading too, my book consumption rate plummets in term time. :(

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Stupid work getting in the way of important stuff.

peggylu and sabrinakat like this.
  12. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

:D

I know you're only joking but I am increasingly thinking exactly this and completely seriously.

I think I am probably entering my last year as a full time teacher this September. I'm starting to very much resent the hours required to the job properly.

More time to spend reading is a definite incentive.

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Couple of book review links below about the book, Mr Mercedes. Just for us to have a look at (only if you want to) before we chat about it this Friday.

Also, do people want me to provide some book club style discussion questions for us to consider or are we going more for casual free-flow chat. I'm happy with either method.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....review-stephen-king-social-realism-small-town

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/books/review/stephen-kings-mr-mercedes.html

Just found out it's been made into a tv series in America. Don't think it's released in UK yet though.

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well there's your mistake then...:D

Edit: Ah my underlining doesn't show.

peggylu likes this.
  15. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I think I can guess which bit you underlined. :p

16. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Last reading day Thursday - how fast did that come around? (oh and it's GCSE results day too :eek: - all the best for that to everyone who is affected - I'm strangely ambivalent about it all this year tbh).

Anyhoo, all meet back here whenever you can make it Friday & throughout the weekend to chat about Mr Mercedes and to suggest some new titles.

Virtual wine and cakes available throughout of course :)

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Still reading, enjoying so far, will have a binge session tomorrow! I thought it would make a good film so interesting to see the trailers.

Love the cupcakes.

sabrinakat and peggylu like this.
  18. sabrinakat

I think my fav Brendan Gleeson is in the show/movie?

peggylu likes this.
  19. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Sorry @peggylu. I'm not even half way through. I started a new job this week :D:D:D but has left me no time for reading. Will try and finish it tomorrow (Saturday for me) and catch the tail end of the discussion. And will try and post pictures of your namesake chook :) x

peggylu likes this.
  20. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Just to say I will be contributing tomorrow with a massive hangover. I've been celebrating our results not being as bad as I thought they'd be and now I'm quite tiddled.

So if my responses are just a series of gggggb6jj;(nkbd then forgive me.

peggylu likes this.