1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Actual Book Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, Jul 23, 2017.

1. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

*waves back enthusiastically :) I'm very happy to see your post.

Brilliant that you're joining in with the book club too. I've missed chatting to you since I had to wean myself off the midnight thread for my sanity & health (I really needed more early nights!).

Libraries! (slaps hand against head). Best bargains of all.

I'm ashamed that loaning the book from the library didn't even occur to me as an option, it's so long since I've been to one. They used to be my home from home as a child too.

I'm going to go and join my nearest library this week. I feel guilty, like I've been ignoring an old friend and letting the library service down. :oops:

Hope you enjoy this months book.

2. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

ditto

minnie me and peggylu like this.
  3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I joined my library in solidarity with Siren Child 2 who wants to do a summer reading challenge. I then borrowed 'Finders Keepers' and 'End of Watch' which are the second and third parts of the trilogy. God bless libraries!

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

In deed ! I can walk to two libraries from where I live and drive to another two ' en route ' to other places. I used to worship at the Waterstones altar ( and still do ) but have saved myself a fortune on accessing loans. I read about reading material , make a list and use the online catalogue to find out where my chosen books might be. I love book shops / buying books too - they furnish my home but not using a library ( for targeted authors and some 'gives it a go ' stuff - no brainer:).) Case in point - really enjoying 'The Lie of the Land ' by Amanda Craig but would not have purchased. Hated 'Slow Horses 'by Mick Herron and gave up (though it had great reviews ) - win win :p

peggylu likes this.
  5. galerider123

I scoured the children's section fortnightly at our local library over about a year, reading books that were new to me so that I could expand the variety of reading material for the school library (I was the school librarian). If it was good, I would then buy copies for school.

sabrinakat and peggylu like this.
  6. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

That sounds like my dream job.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. galerider123

Mine too...that was in my own time (apart from having occasional small amounts of money to spend from the school).

peggylu likes this.
  8. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

Thank you @peggylu :)

I didn't post for several months, as I was working away from home. Am back at home now with the chooks.

One of my original chickens was "Penny" and she has several descendants, so I called one of them "Peggy" and I'm afraid the "Lu" attachment just came automatically, so I really hope you don't mind having an Aussie chook called after you :p

Collected the book from the library today. I use my library a lot as my book collection was getting out of control.

I now only buy things that I see as being 'collectible' as in books that I will read again. And again.

Anyway... lovely to catch up, and I shall read the book before the 24th :D

peggylu and galerider123 like this.
  9. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Not only don't I mind but I'm thrilled and honoured. :) Any chance of a pic?

I think I've reached this point too. My OH is insisting I throw out a couple of (floor to ceiling) bookcases worth of books away. I need to be ruthless and then re-stock with collectible quality editions of my absolute favourites. (Been saying this for about 2 years!)

Look forward to your views on it. :)

galerider123 likes this.
  10. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

In case anyone's just joining us.

[​IMG]REMINDER OF BOOK CLUB READ FOR JULY/AUG...for those just having a quick peep at this thread.

...nothing too worthy or too long to start with...a nice throwaway holiday/read - a detective story.

Book: Mr Mercedes by Stephen King

Reading end date: 24th August 2017

Meet back on this thread on 25th August to discuss. Then someone else will pick a new book for AUG/SEPT.

Or... if people prefer we can all suggest a book each then have a vote for the one we all fancy the most, in line with @galerider123idea.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  11. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Have you considered just getting a more supportive OH? ;)

My husband's an enabler - he went out today and bought me a book just 'cause...

And I overheard one of my children say today: "Mummy's in a bad mood. Give her a book." :oops::oops::oops:

galerider123, sabrinakat and peggylu like this.
  12. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

:D:p Good point. To be fair to him some of my books, old paperbacks, text books etc. really should be thrown out. I just find it so difficult.

That is possibly the cutest thing I've ever heard. How sweet. Also, you are training them well for buying you books as presents when they're older.

galerider123 and secretsiren like this.
  13. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I've just finished Mr Mercedes this morning. :) Even though I read it before, ages ago, I still felt the same way about it as I did on the first read (I won't elaborate until we all discuss it).

I've decided I am going to re-read the next two books in the trilogy too (for closure - and I vaguely remember I enjoyed the further character developments) but not until after the 25th so that I don't end up mixing up future events, that happen to the characters, and discuss those by mistake alongside the plot of this book.

14. galerider123

Mine arrived by post yesterday...I am saving it for seaside reading next week :):):)

peggylu likes this.
  15. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Ahhh. Summer :)

Happy holidays for next week @galerider123

IMG_1342.JPG

galerider123 and frangipani123 like this.
  16. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My ebay copy arrived today :)

In our house in Ireland, I had six Ikea bookcases full of....books! I did donate quite a few, put some in storage (now that we have bought a house here, will get them sent over) but am building up again.

The new house has an attic/loft conversion which is MINE! I will be putting in bookcases asap.:)

17. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

It's official. I've got no willpower.

I'm currently on a sunbed, with a tall orangey alcoholic drink and an ocean view to die for and all I want to do is read the next book in the Mercedes trilogy.

I'll have to download it to my Kindle I'm afraid, it's bugging me not remembering what happens next.

Hope you are all getting on okay with the book.

18. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Will someone @ me when you choose a new book so I can join in?

peggylu likes this.
  19. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I'd be happy to @ you.

I'm imagining a rough timescale will be that we'll discuss this book over a few days from the 25th Aug onwards and also get some new book suggestions from everyone at the same time.

Then we'll need to collectively agree on the one title we will read during end of Aug - Sept/Oct. (Will this be the hard part?).

If everyone is keen on a few title suggestions we could perhaps collectively agree an advanced reading list for future months? (just an idea - let me know what you all think)

We are currently TES book club pioneers I'm afraid and so this is an evolving process, I'm sure we will find out what works best for everyone as we go along. (We are teachers, I've no doubt an organised routine will eventually develop :p).

It would be great if you did pop back to the thread around the 25th Aug onwards @Flere-Imsaho then, if you want to, you can join in straight away by also suggesting a title you recommend for the next read. :)

Have to go back to the beach and laze about in the sunshine for hours on end now :cool: It's a hard life this holiday malarkey isn't it :D.

This will be me in 3 weeks time!

IMG_1356.JPG

galerider123 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  20. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter