1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Actual Book Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, Jul 23, 2017.

1. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

I always thought Stephen King was a bit scary, peggylu. (Bit of a wuss, me). I think I might hang on until the next book!! However, I'll have a scan at Waterstones and see if I think I could manage it :)

peggylu likes this.
  2. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

:D

I get this. Most of his books are exceptionally creepy, the films based on his books I have to watch from behind a cushion. (I'm a wuss too).

This one however is a detective story, twists, yes, horror no.

If you read some of the reviews for it on Amazon.co.uk people are saying how different it is from his usual writing. Some liking that difference, some hating it. It has very mixed reviews.

I'm dying to tell you something about it and the different characters but I must, must refrain until the 25th.(willpower Peggy, willpower - :confused:)

If you are thinking of buying the paperback though it's quite cheap on Amazon.co.uk (only £6.20 and the kindle edition is £5.99).

3. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

REMINDER OF BOOK CLUB READ FOR JULY/AUG...for those just having a quick peep at this thread.

...nothing too worthy or too long to start with...a nice throwaway holiday/read - a detective story.

Book: Mr Mercedes by Stephen King

Reading end date: 24th August 2017

Meet back on this thread on 25th August to discuss. Then someone else will pick a new book for AUG/SEPT.

4. galerider123

I quite like a detective story....;)

sabrinakat and peggylu like this.
  5. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Received my copy from Amazon - used, in good condition for £2.81. I wouldn't read a traditional Stephen King but this is thriller and looks intriguing. Just have to read it now, tend to drift off part way through books, but I'll persevere!

peggylu and galerider123 like this.
  6. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

@frangipani123

Bargain! Nice one. :)

Happy reading.

Go on, be a devil and give it a go then. :)

frangipani123 and galerider123 like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I like the idea... but I have too many books to read already...

peggylu likes this.
  8. galerider123

Ordered from Amazon preused for £2.81 including postage. Seriously committed now ;)

peggylu and frangipani123 like this.
  9. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

A couple of people have said something like this or that they may not take a fancy to the chosen book in a given month.

We discussed earlier in the thread that these points could actually be advantages to having a 'virtual' book club on a forum instead of physically going to a venue once a month, where you then feel obliged to read the book even if it's not one you are drawn to or you are busy that month.

People could dip in or out of the virtual book club as they wished. So if you are backed up with reading material or don't fancy the sound of the chosen book just pop along at the end date to see what the next selection is or to see whether people's comments when discussing it pique your interest into giving it a go.

You could also just join in by suggesting book/s for future months. I'm hoping for a really eclectic mix over time. I want to try some new stuff!

galerider123 likes this.
  10. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Another astute shopper. :) I never look on the used book tab on Amazon as I always imagined the p&p would negate the bargain. I'm going to start looking now though.

sabrinakat and galerider123 like this.
  11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Will take a look as I usually like Stephen King...:eek:

EDIT- just ordered on ebay for £2.71 with free postage (I always check ebay vs amazon to check postage).

peggylu and frangipani123 like this.
  12. ladyzelda

ladyzelda New commenter

Please may I join?

galerider123 and peggylu like this.
  13. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Brilliant, really glad you're joining in :) I'm so looking forward to us all chatting about this book on the 25th. I've finished it (full disclosure, I had read it ages ago too) and I'd forgotten how different it was.

Edited to say: I'm feeling a bit of a plonker for paying full price for my paperbacks. So many great bargain hunters on here. I've always prided myself on finding bargains too!

14. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Absolutely :):) the more, the merrier. I'll re-post all the details of this months book below. Now there's a few of us I'm looking forward to sharing thoughts about this book but even more to everyone's next book suggestions for AUG/SEPT.

galerider123 likes this.
  15. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

IMG_1309.JPG REMINDER OF BOOK CLUB READ FOR JULY/AUG...for those just having a quick peep at this thread.

...nothing too worthy or too long to start with...a nice throwaway holiday/read - a detective story.

Book: Mr Mercedes by Stephen King

Reading end date: 24th August 2017

Meet back on this thread on 25th August to discuss. Then someone else will pick a new book for AUG/SEPT.

Or... if people prefer we can all suggest a book each then have a vote for the one we all fancy the most, in line with @galerider123 idea.

16. galerider123

I didn't check ebay lol :rolleyes::)

peggylu likes this.
  17. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Got my copy from Amazon and it arrived on Thursday. I finished it yesterday after blitzing it in two days.

I shan't say anymore until 25th August but I will say that I will be purchasing the second and third in the series.

18. galerider123

Have you read the rest of them, peggylu?

peggylu likes this.
  19. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Brilliant. :)

I did read the whole trilogy ages ago.

I didn't mention it was a trilogy when suggesting it as our first read as Mr Mercedes is a good book in its own right. I didn't want it to appear like there was undue pressure to read 3 SK books rather than one. Which there still isn't btw.

I shall add no more now and see what everyone has to say on the 25th. ;)

galerider123 likes this.
  20. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I'll join in. They have it at my local library, so I've placed a reservation and I can collect tomorrow :)

*waves @peggylu * :)

galerider123 and frangipani123 like this.